eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

Im a 48 year old woman and was diagnosed with macular degeneration

I'm a 48 year old woman and was diagnosed with macular degeneration in my left eye and glaucoma in both eyes last week. There are times when I am very aware of my left eye, as though it is swollen or something, which has been happening for several months. This doesn't happen all the time, but it's strange. Would the feeling that one eye doesn't fit or is swollen be my imagination?

Thank you for your help.

eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

I see you are offline at the moment.

eyesight2020 :

I will give you some general information and if you have any questions you can leave them in the box below

eyesight2020 :

Has your eye doctor mentioned that there is some orbital asymmetry in which one eye protrudes outward more than the other?

eyesight2020 :

Do you have a history of an over active thyroid.

eyesight2020 :

Sometimes protrusion of one eye or both could be an indication of an overactive thyroid

eyesight2020 :

You may want to followup for an evaluation of this with your primary care doctor and mentionthese symptoms to him

eyesight2020 :

On the same note if you did not mention it to your eye doctor,on your next visit you should mention it so he can use a ruler called an exopthlamometer to measure if there is a true protrsion of one eye versus the other or both.

eyesight2020 :

Based on the findings your doctor may then decide to do an orbital mri or ultrasound.

eyesight2020 :

This is just one issue to take into consideration.

eyesight2020 :

Sometimes with dry eye ,although it is usually a bilateral problem sometimes it may be more notible in one eye.

eyesight2020 :

At the same time you may want to try artificial tears such as systane,or optive in the meantime untill you are able to followup with your eyedoctor and primarycare doctor and mention this problem to them so they can do any necesssary testing that you may need

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions leave them in the box below.

eyesight2020 :

If this has answered your question,please rate this session before you leave the website.

eyesight2020 :

Thankyou