Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I made a mixture of honey and water and had been putting a

I made a mixture of honey and water and had been putting a drop in each eye for a couple of days (I did this 2 weeks ago). I stopped because my eye was bothering me and causing some light pain, kind of like a headache behind the eye, pressure maybe. So I visited an eye doctor and he looked at it with a light and microscope and said that all he could see was a small coloration of some epithelial cells (I think he said epithelial), which is nothing serious and will disappear soon. He gave me some eye drops to use to lubricate my eyes to help deal with irritation, and I just started using them. Now, I forgot to tell him that my pupil sizes are different and constantly contract and retract, which I'm not sure is normal. I don't want to get obsessive, but I just want a second opinion. I have had no real eye issues and I had a checkup recently in which the doctor said I was clear and had "textbook" eyes. Also, can honey/water pass through the cornea?

If you are wondering why I put honey in my eyes its because I had heard it can be used to lighten your eye. This of course was a personal choice, probably not the smartest but I figured I'd ease into it...

Thanks for your time.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is absolutely fine for the pupils to change size as it would depend on the intensity of light falling on the eye.

Customer:

Hi Dr. Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any abnormality of pupil becomes sigmi

Customer:

Even in a bathroom mirror with even lighting?

Customer:

Sigmi?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Significant if it remains in the same size and is associates with visual symptoms too.

Customer:

So an infection is a possibility?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the vision is absolutely fine, I guess it should not be a matter of concern.

Customer:

Ok, but the minor headache/eye pain should subside?

Customer:

I just don't know why I still feel a light eye pain every now and then

Customer:

and if it is something that I should worry about or if it will go away

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Very subtle change in pupillary size or rather flickering is physiological and is called hippus. Yes, the headache should subside along with the eye pain . The eye pain could be due to tiny abrasions on the corneal epithelium.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It will subside with the use of lubricating eye drops.

Customer:

Okay great.

Customer:

One quick question, is hippus a bad thing?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But please avoid putting honey and water in the eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hippus is normal phenomenon. It is not serious.

Customer:

Okay

Customer:

Will do

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Desai

Customer:

I appreciate your help and your opinions

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince