Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

RA - fvh

Customer Question

HI, Struggling with droopy right eye. Pupil is constricted as well. It's been getting slowly worse now over the last 10 years. I am a smoker, 1 pack a week. I have a back right molar that has also been abcessing on and off for the past decade as well but haven't had it pulled yet. I've had sinus infections on and off as well. I tend to get cluster headaches resulting in a thin clear mucous discharge from the roof of my mouth...could this be related directly to the tooth?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. The discharge can certainly be related to the tooth yes. As far as the droopy eyelid and constricted pupil...
Doctor DanB : Has it been there your whole life, only worse the past 10 yrs or is it new since 10 years ago?
Customer :

Earlier photos from my childhood do not show a droopy eye even in the least bit. I remember in college getting the headaches and constricted pupil (almost 15 years now) plus the discharge...

Doctor DanB : Okay, thanks for that additional information. Have you had any head, neck, or chest trauma in the past?
Customer :

In highschool I was in a car accident, bad back trauma and spasms. No serious traumas to the head, chest or neck that I recall.

Doctor DanB : Upper, mid or lower back?
Customer :

lower back...

Customer :

I'm scheduling the tooth to be pulled in the next couple weeks.

Customer :

Also, it occured to me that I have been sleeping mainly on my right side for well over twenty years, could that have any affect on the issue? Just say'n.

Doctor DanB : I suspect that you may have a serious problem called a Horner's syndrome. A Horner's syndrome is an interruption of the normal, sympathetic nervous system pathways that lead from the spinal cord, up the chest, into and up the neck, and then through the head to the eye. It is usually associated with a droopy eyelid, and can be associated with a cough or asymmetric sweating on the face or sides of the body. It can be caused by any direct or indirect trauma to the back, head, neck, or chest. It can also be caused by masses or lesions anywhere from the chest cavity up to the neck, head, and eye. because a Horner's syndrome can have serious medical implications it is important for you to see an ophthalmologist or neurologist as soon as you can. If you develop the worst headache of your life, double vision, or decreased vision you should go to an ER right away. 
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this? 
Doctor DanB : Is there a reason why you rated poor service? Is there a question you had I didn't answer?
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.