Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My husband has liver cirrhosis and still is a heavy drinker.

My husband has liver cirrhosis and still is a heavy drinker. He is now having vision problems in one eye only-swelling and blurry vision. His eye doctor has referred him to a cornea specialist. We have an appointment the middle of March. Is there any correlation with the cornea and cirrhosis? He is in big time denial about the cirrhosis and is not truthful about how much he is drinking.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

I am wondering if the problem my husband is having with his eye is related to the cirrhosis.

Dr. Tom :

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. Just give me a minute to type an answer for you.

Dr. Tom :

It would be helpful to know if your husband's eye exam was done by an ophthalmologist or optometrist and what were the visual complaints and what did the doctor say.

Dr. Tom :

Could you let me know what part of the eye he was told was swollen?

Customer:

optomitrist-He just picked up his new glasses. The next day, he complained with his left eye hurting, watery, and blurry vision. His eye was a little swollen. He went back to the doctor and he was given Systane drops and a prescription for drops. The vision cleared up and then was blurry again. He went back for a followup today-the second followup-and the vision is still blurry so he was referred to a cornea specialist.

Customer:

I am assuming the cornea was swollen, but really don't know.

Dr. Tom :

Thank you for that extra information. So to answer your primary question...no, there is no specific swelling on the eye directly associated with cirrhosis. While there are ocular manifestations of liver disease, corneal swelling seems implausible. Clearly, he should be seen by an ophthalmologist to actually determine the cause for the blurred vision....and a corneal specialist will be fine. Does this information help you? And do you have any other questions this morning?

Customer:

Thank you very much. Was just curious if there was a correlation. He has other health issues that are related to the cirrhosis and I just wanted to know.

Dr. Tom :

You bet..is there anything else I can help with?

Customer:

That was it.

Dr. Tom :

I am sure that an ophthalmologist will find the cause of the blurred vision. Best wishes.

Thanks Gloria for the opportunity to help.