Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

My 14 year old started having motor Tics 3 months ago

My 14 year old started having motor tics 3 months ago. He has never had them before this. Started with blinking hard and some hand movement. A few days ag he started moving his head to the side in a quick motion. The tics have subsided a few times. Most recently three weeks with barely any tics. Then he had high school baseball tryouts and they got worse for past week and one half. I took him to eye doc and pediatrician a few months back and theft didn't seem concerned. He has not reached puberty yet and is young looking for his age. I am so worried. Thinking of taking him to a neurologist. Any help is appreciated
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Customer: I am here
Dr. Tom :

Good morning. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your question. First, I'd like to say that I'm sorry and that I know how frustrating it can be when the child develops something out of the ordinary. Given that you have had two appropriate examinations, and based on the symptoms which you describe, my suggestion would be that you arrange an appointment for your son with a pediatric neurologist. There are many conditions associated with motor tics and blepharospasm ( the frequent blinking and squeezing of the eyelids). Some of these conditions are associated with certain psychological diagnoses. A pediatric neurologist will be very helpful in both determining the cause and establishing a medical treatment plan. I hope this has helped and has answered your specific question. Please let me know if there is anything further I can do for you.

Customer: Do you think this is very serious or something that can be treated or dealt with. Most of what I read doesn't sound very serious
Customer: I also have OCD but never had motor tics
Dr. Tom :

Yes, I agree. You are correct that some of the neurological conditions are serious. But the good news is that most of these have management protocols that have been established over time. That is why it is very important that your son be evaluated by a pediatric neurologist to establish a baseline. And to answer your specific question, yes, most of these conditions "can be treated are dealt with. You are doing the correct and appropriate search for information, which will help you in your questioning of the pediatric neurologist, but please don't jump to any specific conclusions based on information you find during your Internet searches. Based on his age and other activities, I have a hunch that you will find a very straightforward diagnosis and management plan. Please me know how things work out.

Customer:

thank you so much it is hard to get a pediatric neurologist appt. the earliest coulf get on april 10

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Dear Jodi, There is not much worry about the time to get to the correct specialist. I know you are anxious, but it is not likely that the time will have any negative bearing on the management of your son's problem.

Again best wishes..and let me know the results.
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems