Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I am a type one diabetic for 43 years. I carry an insulin

I am a type one diabetic for 43 years. I carry an insulin pump for treatment. My question has to do with diabetic eye disease. I have had retinopathy since 1987 and have had as may as 35 laser treatments, cataract surgery and a detached retina treated. One of the laser treatments ruined the vision in my left eye. So, I am hesitate about laser treatments. I only have adequate vision in my right eye now. Is there any eye drops or treatment available to help maintain the vision I have left? I am partial to alternative treatment also.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. I am very sorry that you have had so much trouble with your diabetic eye disease. Thank you for the opportunity to give you this answer. To answer the first part of your question, which I understand to be your fear of further vision loss caused by laser treatment, you should understand that it would be very rare indeed for a similar, laser caused vision loss to occur. However, I would hope that you are under the care and treatment of a fellowship trained retina specialist. If you are not, I would still recommend that you get a second opinion. As to your other questions, if you have diabetic retinopathy, there are no available eyedrops or alternative medicine therapies that are documented to resolve the diabetic hemorrhages. Please concentrate your energy on allowing highly trained retinal specialists advise and manage your eyes. I hope that these answers have covered what you needed to know this morning. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Best wishes.

That doesn't really answer my question. I need to talk to someone who is talented in the alternative treatment area. I have had help with bilberry and DMSO in the past. I'm not looking for something the AMA has approved.