Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Had both cataracts done two years ago and three months ago.

Had both cataracts done two years ago and three months ago. Same problem developed about two months after surgery. Both eyes when looking near to far a blur is present for less than a second like a curtain opening from side to side. Extremely annoying when driving and looking at the rearview mirror then the road ahead. I've been checked out all is fine. I am 65, what is this. Will it go away? Is there a cure? Also the most recent eye has a second cataract. Will YAG laser Treatment make this condition worse?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Did you have a regular, monofocal lens implant or did you pay extra for a premium or presbyopia-correcting lens implant?
Customer: monofocal, acrysofiq iol model sn 60wf 20.0 power
Doctor DanB : Are you wearing prescription glasses all the time?
Customer: yes, but same condition, either way
Doctor DanB : Has your glasses prescription been checked recently? How long have you had the secondary cataract?
Customer: yes, their at best possille. what are you thinking
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry I was injured in an accident tonight. I need to opt out so someone else can help you.

Hello, ( I am so sorry hear about Dr. Dan's accident, I'll check in with him later).....but maybe I can help you with your question. As to the can count on that procedure making your vision better. In 20 years of doing YAGs for posterior capsule clouding, I have seen only excellent patient satisfaction. It is safe and very effective.

As to your primary question, the momentary blur, in the presence of an eye exam that was reported as normal, sure suggests that your blur is coming from tear film instability ( a form of dry eye syndrome). If you were my patient, with similar complaints, I would suggest getting a good tear film stabilizer, such as Systane OTC and using a couple of drops up to four times a day .

There is also the remote possibility that you might be developing a mild lower lid aging lost of eye lid tone. That too could give momentary blurring as it may also disrupt the normal tear distribution over your corneas. A good quality tear film is very important in crisp vision.

I hope this information helps you. Please let me know how your symptoms are going after the YAG and the use of tear film stabilizations drops.

Best wishes.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems