Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I just had cataract surgery on 2/20 and am wondering if coughing

I just had cataract surgery on 2/20 and am wondering if coughing or sneezing is harmful. I woke up coughing last night because of a tickle in my throat from irritation.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat.
Customer:

Hi, and thanks for your help. Just wondering if coughing or sneezing will do any damage. Woke up last night coughing because of throat irritation from either postnasal drip or whatever. I get this once in a while in the winter.

Dr. Tom : There is very little risk. During my 25 years of cataract surgery I have never seen a problem caused by coughing. Obviously you should try to limit your coughing but there is little risk that you will damage your eye.
Dr. Tom : Is there anything else that I can answer for you?
Customer:

Okay - thanks for your help. I was a little concerned about thiis. I know they tell you not to bend over so as not to cause any pressure but was't sure about coughng or sneezing causing any pressure

Customer:

O

Dr. Tom : Yes, those are good precautions. If you sneeze just let it out. Don't hold back
Customer:

Okay and thanks for your help and I guess that is all for now.