Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I just had cataract surgery on 2/20 and am wondering if coughing

I just had cataract surgery on 2/20 and am wondering if coughing or sneezing is harmful. I woke up coughing last night because of a tickle in my throat from irritation.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat.

Hi, and thanks for your help. Just wondering if coughing or sneezing will do any damage. Woke up last night coughing because of throat irritation from either postnasal drip or whatever. I get this once in a while in the winter.

Dr. Tom : There is very little risk. During my 25 years of cataract surgery I have never seen a problem caused by coughing. Obviously you should try to limit your coughing but there is little risk that you will damage your eye.
Dr. Tom : Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Okay - thanks for your help. I was a little concerned about thiis. I know they tell you not to bend over so as not to cause any pressure but was't sure about coughng or sneezing causing any pressure

Dr. Tom : Yes, those are good precautions. If you sneeze just let it out. Don't hold back

Okay and thanks for your help and I guess that is all for now.