Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello - OPTOMETRY QUESTIONPlease answer only if expert in

Customer Question

Hello - OPTOMETRY QUESTION
Please answer only if expert in field

I have measured "3" prism on each eye. Glasses were etched with half of that "1.5" prism on each eye, as per optometrist reccomendation to HALF the prism. Why did he half it?

I still think it is too strong, and he suggest halfing again to "0.75" every eye. Is this a good idea? Can it cause a problem since I measured 3 on each eye?

SO CONFUSED. Alenghty explanation will be appreciated

THANKS SO MUCH
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is done to balance the prism between your two eyes. You need a total of 3 prism diopeters, so the way the glasses are made is too put half in each eye.

Dr. Rick :

You still have the full 3 prism diopters of need prism. .

Dr. Rick :

If your optometrist now feels that you do not need 3 diopters of prism it seems like your strabismus is not stable. If this is the case, glasses with prism will not work for you.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sure you understand that if the amount of prism you need keeps changing having a static amount of prism power ground in your glasses won't take care of your double vision as the amount of strabismus changes.

Dr. Rick :

You might want to consult with a pediatric ophthalmologist....they are experts on adult strabismus.

Dr. Rick :

Also, if you think your prism amount is too much you have to remember that your need to give your brain time to get used to your new glasses with the prism in them....at least three weeks of full time wear.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. He said I measured 3 in EACH eye, and he gave me half in each eye to avoid lazy eye. All I have is that my eyes look inward and I have double vision if I am tired. Now he wants to go to. 75 in each eye because the 1.5 is too strong for me. Is that ok?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing. At age 27 is impossible for you to get lazy eye (amblyopia)

Go see a pediatric ophthalmologist. They are the true experts in this field.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will.....it will be around 3 months for an appointment. Will it be ok to have the glasses re-made using "1" prism per eye? I tried thema t the office and they do help my vision a lot.

Just making sure it is safe for my eyes.

Thanks so much

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sara,

Yes, you could have the glasses made with one prism diopter in each eye and see how that goes. They shouldn't charge you to remake the glasses....

The good news? Even if the glasses are not the "right" power for your eyes, wearing them will not cause any damage or harm your in any way....

Sorry to hear that you have to wait so long to get in to see the peds ophth MD but, once you see them you will be in excellent hands.

Let me know how things turn out.

I'm sure that after 174 questions you know how much fun the excellent feedback button is to push ;-)

Dr Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES!!! : ) THANKS SO MUCH!!!! Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sara,

The pleasure is all mine :-)