Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I am 2.5 - 2 far-sighted. I have allergy in my eyes so bad

Customer Question

I am 2.5 - 2 far-sighted. I have allergy in my eyes so bad that I have to blink my eyes very often and it is discomforting my daily life more than anyone can imagine. I can hardly open my eyes. I wear contact lens during day time and wear glasses when I get back home from work. I went to several doctors but they could not find any solution to my allergy.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Thanks Dr. Tom

Customer:

I am here now to speak with you

Customer:

Hello, I could not find any answers from you

Dr. Tom :

Great, may I ask you a couple of questions to get started?

Customer:

yes please

Dr. Tom :

Do your eye produce more mucous than normal? Do your eyes feel better with the CLs on or off? Do you have lots of other allergies?

Customer:

my cousin is here with me. She has the allergies I told you about.

Customer:

she does not have other body allergies

Customer:

she was off cl s for 15 days due to a doctor's request

Customer:

but there was no difference

Customer:

no mucous than normal.

Dr. Tom :

OK, thanks for that.....did the eye doctor flip the eyelids with a q-tip the examine the under surface of the lids with his slit lamp microscope?

Customer:

they examined the eye lids very thoroughly with the lamp microscope

Customer:

both of the lids lower and upper are full of allergies they said

Dr. Tom :

Yes, I'm sure, but were the upper eye lids everted?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

they prescribed several eye drops

Customer:

dexacine

Customer:

patanol

Customer:

she used those but they did not work

Customer:

so now she is on FML and eyestill

Customer:

she was using pomade for the inner side of the eye

Customer:

she used restasis pomade

Customer:

she is on FML for the last three days

Dr. Tom :

Great....that was a through examination. And the medications used often work, but sometimes it is necessary to be more agressive with suppressive medications that are available. In my 25 years of ophthalmic practice, I can't remember a time when we didn't get these very severe allergies under control. Was the eye doctor you saw an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

I do not know the difference

Customer:

we are from Turkey

Customer:

we went to a few doctors in the last two weeks

Customer:

one of them was an eye surgeon

Customer:

what do you mean by being more aggressive in medications?

Customer:

are there other medications that we can buy from the US that are unavailable in our country?

Customer:

would computer screen make it worse because she is working as an editor and works for long hours

Dr. Tom :

An ophthalmologist is a MD, a physician trained in all of the medical and surgical deseases of the eye. In Turkey there may be other classifications of eye doctors.There are much stronger steriod eye drop, and oral steriods are rarely necessary. I wish I could tell you about availability between our countries, but I am sure that your eye surgeon knows the types of medications to which I refer. Yes long periods of focusing on the computer could aggravate here sysmtoms.

Customer:

could you give me names of strong steroids please

Customer:

because the ones that doctors prescribed did not work at all

Dr. Tom :

A this point she should consider discontinuing the CLs completely until she get things under control. Consider frequent OTC tear drops, like Systane used 4 or 5 times a day....and frequesnt applications of cool compresses....all in addition to the medications her doctor is trying.

Customer:

if you know the best eye doctor in turkey who is an expert in allegies, that may also work

Dr. Tom :

An example of a strong steriod eye drop is Pred Forte.

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

what do you mean by cool compresses

Dr. Tom :

I will be glad to do a search for a qualified specialist for you. What is your nearest large city?

Customer:

we are in Istanbul

Customer:

it is the biggest city in Turkey

Customer:

do make up and light effect her allergy?

Customer:

could you explain what you mean by cool compresses

Dr. Tom :

OK...great ( I would love to see your beautiful city sometime )....I will look up a specialist for you. Please go ahead and rate our encounter so I can clear our conversation from the Live Chat...and I will post the specialist in the Q and A dialog box so you can come back to it. Does that suit you?

Dr. Tom :

Cool compresses are just sterile pads soaked in ice water,

Customer:

yes where is Q and A dialog box

Dr. Tom :

You will get an email message and link as soon as I post your specialist name. Does that work for you?

Customer:

yes and also I would like to contact you later after seeing the doctor in Istanbul

Customer:

please let me know how I can reach you because doctors change in the chat room and I do not want to describe everything from the beginning

Customer:

and I am sure you would like to hear the update

Dr. Tom :

Give me about 30 minutes to get the names you need. Ss let's check out as soon as you rate our encounter. You will have my contact in my reply posting.

Customer:

ok sure

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

http://www.novacorpus.co.uk/en_gb/ophthalmological-clinic-vision-laser-eye-operation-lasik-sight-turkey.html?Itemid=251

While this ( above ) clinic is oriented to Laser eye sight correction, these eye surgeons specialize in external eye diseases and are highly trained in all aspects of ocular surface pathology.

Academic teaching centers are also a great place to seek treatment because so many specialists are available to consult with each other about complicated patients. These two professors have very good credentials.

http://www.doctorsofistanbul.com/?cat=56

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will contact the doctors that are on the below list:

But I could not find any specialist in Istanbul from the link below. Please give me specific names or the specific link showing the list of doctors.

Also in my first chat with you, I asked about if make-up would make the allergy worse and also studio lights as my friend is hosting a Tv show daily. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hello again....there Doctor are shown to be in Istanbul:

Please let me know if this was helpful?

The make-up is not likely to be the cause, however, the light exposure might be a factor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes helpful thank you. Also, would you kindly inform us if any tests or procedures that she should go through?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Great, I am glad that helped. In all probability, she will not need any special testing beyond the through examination by her ophthalmologist. But even if he does any testing, it will be minor and at the time of the examination. If he suspects a bacterial cause he may do a culture test to see what is the best medication to use.

Best wishes.