Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I was hit by a metal clasp just under my eye yesterday. It

I was hit by a metal clasp just under my eye yesterday. It felt like it hit my cheekbone or orbit. It hurt excruciatingly badly at first, and throughout the day it was causing mild pain to chew on that side and pretty bad one-sided headaches, kind of like a sinus headache. I iced it and took ibuprofen once, which wore off pretty quickly. I had some shooting pains up into my temple and down into my jaw that evening.

Today it feels a little better but I am having trouble focusing my eye and when I cover the other eye, my vision is blurry.

Should I see a doctor, or is this normal and will likely subside? Also, it happened at work due to someone else's neglect in putting some equipment back properly. I'm not sue-happy, but wondering if I do go to the doctor if they should pay any bills.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat now?

Customer:

Hi! I'm here and I have a few minutes to chat.

Dr. Tom :

Great, give me a minute to type your answer, and then you can ask follow up questions.

Dr. Tom :

Although I am in no position regarding suit, you may be covered under workmans compensation......however with the degree of pain you had, and the ongoing difficulty focusing and blurred vision....you clearly need to see an ophthalmologist. You may be develpoing internal inflamation in the eye from the trauma..and the sooner treatment can get started the better, Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, that's what I was thinking, too. I have a great eye doctor I can contact here. Just wanted to be sure I was not overreacting. But it is my eye!!! thank you.

Dr. Tom :

No, you are not over reacting. If I were your eye doctor I would want you to come right in. Best wishes.

Dr. Tom :

Is there anything I can answer for you about this problem before you check out to rate my response?

Customer:

No, thank you. Waiting on the phone to make appointment right now.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems