Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

is there any substitute ointment than polysporin and mupirocin?

is there any substitute ointment than polysporin and mupirocin? to cure boils? which is under my eyes? im 16 yr old male and i have experienced lots of boils in every part of my body this past few months.. how can i kill it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Bactroban will work very well and you can purchase it online and in many stores

Dr. Rick :

If that doesn't work then a MD can give you a prescription for an antibiotic. Keflex is a good choice.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

i see. but is there any substitute medicine to bactroban? and also i have multiple whie round patches on my skin..

Customer:

i take cloxacillin also..

Dr. Rick :

Over the counter Neosporin ointment is an ok choice.

Dr. Rick :

A prescription ointment that works well is fucidin but you need to see a doctor for this

Customer:

what are those symptoms ? those white round patches..?

Dr. Rick :

It is hard to tell but from what you have posted it sounds like boils. This is an infection of a hair follicle and you will be OK

Dr. Rick :

Try not to freak out. :)

Dr. Rick :

Do hot compresses, soak in a hot bath and use the antibiotic cream.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

oh thanks.. and i messed because i have blown it using a stick..

Dr. Rick :

That will be OK....don't worry.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

yes this is helpful to me

Customer:

okay thanks.. and can you give me an example of antibiotic cream? because im here at the philippines..

Dr. Rick :

neosporin, triple antibiotic, bacatracin.....there are many, many antibiotic creams available. Talk to a pharmacist and I am sure they can give you a bunch to choose from.

Dr. Rick :

They have antibiotic ointment in the Philippines too lol!

Customer:

Okay thanks Doc.. there is no need to consult right? and it is applicable at my age 16 year old.. it is under on my eyes..

Customer:

i have experienced a lots of boils and how can i kill it ?

Dr. Rick :

yes. There is no need to go to a MD right now, but if gets worse call one. And, yes, it is applicable at your age.

Dr. Rick :

It is part of being a teenager. Wash well, etc. You can also look online for advice, but it is common and nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

You can't kill it as the most common bacteria that causes boils lives normally on your skin.

Customer:

Well thank you very much Doc.. this is so very helpful.. i will ask again if theres a lil problem.. and i do take Cloxacillin 500mg.. does it okay?

Dr. Rick :

You could use that, but I try the ways we discussed before going to oral antibiotics. Also, that is not the best antibiotic choice, even though it might work.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Rick :

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Customer:

thanks.. i will send a picture ... i will rate you Excellent service :)

Customer:

Boilds
Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

Got it. That is not a boil. That is a stye.

Customer:

Oh... then what should i do ?

Dr. Rick :

Here is what you need to do for your sty:

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

We should have started this question off with the picture :-)

Dr. Rick :

Use the hot compresses as often as you can during the day. The more the better.

Dr. Rick :

This is not an instant fix, but this treatment will work.

Dr. Rick :

Do not waste your cloxacillin on this.....it is not indicated nor will it help.

Dr. Rick :

Now that know what is actually going on, does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes it is..

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I'm very glad you thought to upload a picture :)

Customer:

besides that.. i will take a pic of my other skin rushes.. is that okay?

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

sometimes it is itchy.. and when im scratching on it hard.. it bleeds.. it is like sebaceous cyst..

Customer:

this
Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

thanks for the picture....and I must admit, I don't know what those are :(

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. Rick :

But they do not look dangerous.

Customer:

ohh..

Dr. Rick :

those might be a small furuncle/boil.

Dr. Rick :

not sure what the little white ones are though.

Dr. Rick :

I got two out of three though ;)

Customer:

oh haha :)

Dr. Rick :

These are not related to the eye thing.

Customer:

it is looks ringworm..

Dr. Rick :

No. I don't think it is ringworm

Customer:

okay thanks :)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good evening.

Customer:

morning here :) thanks :)

Dr. Rick :

You are in the future lol!

Customer:

yup :D

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest