Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

On several occasions over the last several years I have experienced

On several occasions over the last several years I have experienced a troubling phenomenon when I cough particularly hard...
Sometimes when I am ill with any sort of respiratory infection, which happens at least two or three times a year I cough so hard that I go into some sort of 'trance' for what I estimate lasts around 20 seconds. I realize that "trance" is not the right word. I just don't have the vocabulary to name the phenomenon properly.
The coughing starts as a normal clearing-type cough and continues through several deep inhalations and ends with a convulsive cough so hard that it seems to reach all the way to the bottom of my lungs with tremendous force. At that moment everything goes black in my vision (or perhaps my eyes close reflexively), any sounds are dramatically muted and seem to be coming from far away, and I can feel my head bobbing slightly in a slow rhythmic action. During these episodes I cannot talk or move, except for the slight head bobbing which is involuntary.
These episodes have occurred while I'm sitting, standing, and even once while driving which was pretty frightening. (I was at a stop light and I was able to just keep my foot on the brake.)
Perhaps this is nothing I should be concerned about. It just seems strange to me. I tried to tell my doctor about it, but she seemed unconcerned and really didn't seem interested enough to let me finish explaining. (It has never happened in front of her.)
I am a 44 year old male with lifelong asthma & all kinds of allergies. I use a C-PAP. My medications include Albuteral Inhaler, Singulair, Advair, Effexor, and Simvastatin.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does your vision go black in both eyes at the same time or is it only one eye?

Customer:

both

Dr. Rick :

I DO believe that this is something that you need to be concerned about and I'm sorry to hear that your MD was not that interested.

Dr. Rick :

I strongly suggest you make an appointment yourself (since your doctor is not interested enough to do so) with a neurologist for a complete evaluation.

Dr. Rick :

Also, if you have one of these episodes again, and a friend or family member is present, it would be very useful if they could do a little movie (everyone's cell phone can do movies nowadays) of how you are acting. This would give the neurologist a lot of information.

Dr. Rick :

I know you probably were looking for a diagnosis but the differential list is long and branching for your symptoms. What I can tell you, however, is that this is not the type of thing you should continue to ignore.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Does your vision go black in both eyes at the same time or is it only one eye? Customer: both
Dr. Rick : I DO believe that this is something that you need to be concerned about and I'm sorry to hear that your MD was not that interested.
Dr. Rick : I strongly suggest you make an appointment yourself (since your doctor is not interested enough to do so) with a neurologist for a complete evaluation.
Dr. Rick : Also, if you have one of these episodes again, and a friend or family member is present, it would be very useful if they could do a little movie (everyone's cell phone can do movies nowadays) of how you are acting. This would give the neurologist a lot of information.
Dr. Rick : I know you probably were looking for a diagnosis but the differential list is long and branching for your symptoms. What I can tell you, however, is that this is not the type of thing you should continue to ignore.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Mark,

I was just discussing your condition with my partner and wondering how you are doing and if you have managed to make an appointment with a neurologist yet.

If you have a chance, drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

Dr Rick