Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX had taken out contacts so i can sterilize

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX had taken out contacts so i can sterilize them and feels like i still have some of the contact in my eye is there anythng i can do to draw it out?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Paula,

Can you closely examine your contact lenses and look/feel for any tear or rip in them?

Dr. Rick :

How long were the contacts in before you took them out today?

Dr. Rick :

Are they hard or soft lenses?

Customer:

they are soft lense when i had taken them out only half of the lense came out

Dr. Rick :

Ok.....sorry about that....

Customer:

never happened before don't know why they would tear like that

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is to get one of those large bottles of saline and, holding your eyelids open as much as possible, use the strong stream from the bottle to flush out your eye.

Dr. Rick :

This would be easier with the assistance of another person.

Dr. Rick :

Soft contacts tear all the time......

Customer:

i understand that i work with them lol although never in the eye

Dr. Rick :

The thing is, if you work too hard at getting the piece out....even if nothing is actually in your eye, you will scratch your cornea and it will feel like something is in there.....even if there isn't

Dr. Rick :

:)

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

It is very likely that the piece will come out with flushing like I talked about.

Customer:

it does have that scratchy feeling

Dr. Rick :

That scratchy feeling is from one of two things:

Customer:

like something is in there but i will try the sollution

Dr. Rick :

Either the piece of the contact lens is still in your eye......

Dr. Rick :

or you have irritated your cornea (or scratched it) so it feels like something is in your eye....but there isn't anything in there.

Dr. Rick :

How can you tell?

Dr. Rick :

With a slit lamp exam:(

Dr. Rick :

Which means a trip to the ophthalmologist or the ER.....sorry about that.

Dr. Rick :

Trying the solution sound like a great idea.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

yeah cheaper that way ...no i'm going totry the use the sollution first, wouldn't i irritate the eye even more or will it draw it out

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Have a good evening and I hope you feel better soon.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Paula,

The chat froze up and I just got your last post :(

No. The saline rinse will not irritate your eye any more and it should flush out any piece of the lens that may be stuck.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest