Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello, Im coming off if a cold. A bit congested and have a

Customer Question

Hello, I'm coming off if a cold. A bit congested and have a cough. But yesterday I noticed my eyes were red. I'm in no pain, they are a bit more watery than usual, and I woke up this morning and NO discharge or excess crustiness. I did try warm compress and eye drops for allergies to see if the redness would go away. I am debating on going to the med express here but I'm just worried if I have pink eye or somthing but again in no pain...

Thank u
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

JACUSTOMER-iln1lmy6- : Yes
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you do have a viral infection already in the form of common cold, it does look like the redness of the eyes is likely to be due to viral conjunctivitis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Viral conjunctivitis is one of the causes of pink eye and is usually self limiting.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Its natural course is to subside by 1-3 weeks without any specific treatment.

JACUSTOMER-iln1lmy6- : Would u suggest Igo to the med express clinic to get an antibiotic for my eyes? I'm just in no real pain so didnt know if I should wait it out
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lubricating eye drops can by used for symptomatic relief. You can try using preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, for 1- 2 weeks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This eye drop is available OTC.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can wait for the signs and symptoms to subside over the next 7-10 days.

JACUSTOMER-iln1lmy6- : Thank you so much
Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the symptoms persist or worsen, then do get the eyes examined by an ophthalmologist for a closer look .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist