Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My 72 year old husband had an eye exam January 30th. He was

My 72 year old husband had an eye exam January 30th. He was told his vision had not changed and he was fortunate that one of his eyes was good for close-up and the other for distance. A few days later, he realized his close-up vision was poor, but improved when he put on my reading glasses. He is a mild diabetic, but his fasting blood sugar this morning was 105. Blood pressure was 128/58. Pulse 73. Since this came on suddenly, I am wondering if we need be concerned, and should I get him to his primary care doctor Monday. He also felt rather punk this week, but better today.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was the near vision in both eyes affected?

Dr. Rick :

Has he required reading glasses in the past for near vision?

Dr. Rick :

In the eye that is "set" for near vision, does he have glasses that allow him to see clearly in the distance with that eye? If so, with those glasses on, is his distance vision also blurry at this time?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Was the near vision in both eyes affected?
Dr. Rick : Has he required reading glasses in the past for near vision?
Dr. Rick : In the eye that is "set" for near vision, does he have glasses that allow him to see clearly in the distance with that eye? If so, with those glasses on, is his distance vision also blurry at this time?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. He thinks both eyes, which seemed to work together before, are not working well now for close vision. Has not used glasses in past for near vision. He says he can well at distance with both eyes, wearing his glasses. If he closes right eye, he doesn't see as well for distance. If he closes left eye, he sees better at distance. For close-up, he sees better out of left eye. He thinks left eye is dominant for close-up, but now he is having trouble reading newpaper at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you send an answer? I am having fits with my computer. My email is either XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, of an alternate is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The doctor asked for additional information, but did not answer when I provided it. He is no longer online, and I still don't have an answer
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that.....my 2 month old Grandson and 3 week old Granddaugher are here for the day :-)

Ok. So, if I understand correctly, the problem is with his left eye. This eye used to be able to see well for near vision without glasses and could see well for distance vision with glasses. Now, he can only see near objects with his left eye if he wears reading glasses.

Is this correct?

One more question: With his distance glasses, can he see clearly with the left eye for distance now?

Also, when he uses reading glasses for his left eye (the one that used to be able to see up close clearly without the use of glasses) is the vision clear at this point?

I look forward to your reply (the grandkids are sleeping :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We can not use email with this system but, even though you are now offline, we can communicate right here.

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He can see well with glasses for distance as well as close with reading glasses
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The fact that he can still see at the distance with his glasses out of that eye tell me that there is, most likely, nothing serious going on with his retina.

The sudden need for reading glasses in this eye could be due to a change in his refractive error. Once again, since he can see clearly with the glasses, I do not think that anything real concerning, or of an emergency nature, is going on.

Taking him to his primary care MD will not be of much value for this issue. I suggest you get him in to see an ophthalmologist (eye MD) early next week for a complete eye exam. Also, make sure to bring in his distance glasses and the "new" reading glasses that seem to be working for him so that the doctor can check out his vision with these in place.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest