Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a rash and Im wondering if it could be shingles. It

I have a rash and I'm wondering if it could be shingles. It started 3 days ago. From my neck to my upper thighs, with a blotchy like rash. Wasn't very itchy, but yesterday my left side seemed worse and today my right side. My husband said that I am starting to get it on my back now. Usually, the people that I know of that have had shingles had it along their waste, shoulders, by their eyes, and it was more contained....more in one spot.....

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have described your rash is not shingles.

Dr. Rick :

Shingles does not cover that much of your body at once, nor does it go across the midline (involving left and right side)

Dr. Rick :

It could be from an allergy (even though it does not itch) or any of about a million things -- but it is not shingles.

Dr. Rick :

I suggest you see and MD for a compete exam. Since it is the weekend, if it continues to get worse or if you are in a discomfort, I would suggest you go to the Emergence room...only because Monday, when the doctors office open again, is a long way off.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Thank you very much. I was also wondering about allergies. If it doesn't worse is it best to do the process of elimination with food?

Customer:

I forget to type in get worse

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That would be a place to start. But don't hesitate to consult with a doctor for help

Dr. Rick :

I must confess....I don't like the fact that over the course of 3 or 4 days it has spread over such a large part of your body.....

Customer:

I have never had something like this before. Previously, when I had some stress I would be itchy on my body, and was wondering if nerves could do this too? I can't say that I am under alot of stress though.

Dr. Rick :

I'd not blame this on nerves or stress.....

Customer:

This afternoon I have had the symptom where I have had to clear my throat quite a bit and then you wonder if it is allergy related, but I am a very healthy so

Customer:

I don't know much about this stuff...

Dr. Rick :

I understand ......that is why you are here on Just Answer :-)

Dr. Rick :

In order to diagnose the cause of this rash a complete physical exam, history and maybe some blood work etc is needed. Even with all of this many times no specific cause is found and the rash is just treated symptomatically.

Customer:

Thank you very much, I will see a doctor if this persists.....it seems as if it is sort of hurting in certain areas now more than even itching.

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like an excellent plan. At least you can rest easy knowing that it is not shingles.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

You too....thank you again.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Hi Janice,

I was just thinking about you and wondering if you managed to figure out what was causing you rash.

I hope you are on the mend and the rash is already gone.

Take care and have a good day.

Dr Rick MD FACS