Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was told that the white part of my right eye is separating

I was told that the white part of my right eye is separating from the eye. If I am not careful the retina might detached. What can I do to prevent it from happening?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist. Who told you this?

Dr. Rick :

Are you seeing spots floating around in your vision and/or flashes of light?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am a retina specialist. Who told you this?
Dr. Rick : Are you seeing spots floating around in your vision and/or flashes of light?
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?

Were you examined by an ophthalmologist (eye MD)?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

I am here awaiting your reply.
I'm sorry about the technical problems we are having with the chat system right now. Let me answer your question so that you can stop worrying:

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

This does not mean, unlike you have been told, that your retina is going to detach.

You can continue all your normal activities without worry.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Once again, please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Anita,

I see that you have read my note. Is there anything else you would like to discuss with me?

If not, feel free to press the positive feedback button for me.

Have a good weekend and try not to worry.

Dr Rick.

Anita,

I'm sorry we had problems with the chat system the other day. I hope you had a good weekend and that everything is OK with your eye and the other eye doctor helped you to better understand what is going on when you saw her today.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr Rick MD FACS