Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

my left eye keeps tearing, an optometrist told me to take alaway

my left eye keeps tearing, an optometrist told me to take alaway drops which haven't been working. Every time I put the drops in my eye, it just pools in the inner corner of my eye and has nowhere to go, same thing with my tears. He also did drain the tear duct with saline but that didn't seem to help either. My eyes aren't red or itchy, there's nothing wrong with my eye that he could see but a little allergy and irritation. Should I continue with the drops or should I see another doctor?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

ok

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Tom :

May I ask a couple of questions?

Customer:

sure

Dr. Tom :

When the optometrist " He also did drain the tear duct with saline but that didn't seem to help either. "...did he actually irrigate saline through th elacrimal duct so that you felt it in the back of your throat?

Customer:

i didn't feel it at the back of my throat, i felt it very slightly come down my nose and that was it

Dr. Tom :

Thanks.....well it sure sound like you have a blockage somewhere in your nasalolacrimal system. I suggest you make an appointment with an ophthalmologist. We see and deal with your type of problem almost daily. And the good news is that you can be fixed. It might take a simple surigal proceedure...but you do not have to live with this.

Customer:

is it an office procedure?

Dr. Tom :

Possibly, or it might require a little more.......but these are normally handled in the surgeon's out patient surgeries.

Dr. Tom :

Having seen several hundred over the years, I assure you that the results are generably very gratifing.

Customer:

Ok, i was thinking I should just see an ophthalmologist, the optometrist seemed a little confused by my problem

Dr. Tom :

YES....this is in the realm of an ophthalmoligist. Please let me know if you have any other question about this?

Customer:

no, you've been helpful, I will make an appt with an ophthalmologist. Thanks!

Dr. Tom :

Great....I bet you will be just fine.

Customer:

thank you