Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Over the past couple of years, my left eye has begun to droop

Over the past couple of years, my left eye has begun to droop a little and I have recently started getting mild headaches on the left side of my head, by my eye. The headaches come and go, and don't last very long when I have them, but I'm paranoid this is a brain tumor symptom?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, I would not rush to think that this is all caused by a brain tumor......

Dr. Rick :

Brain tumors are, first of all, very rare and secondly would cause lots of other symptoms after all these years.

Dr. Rick :

Is it your left upper eyelid that is getting a bit droopy?

Customer:

Yes it is

Dr. Rick :

Is it so droopy that people comment on it and it also blocks your vision?

Customer:

I did not notice any drooping at all in 2010 but have since then, it's steadily gotten worse

Customer:

My mother commented on a picture she saw of me when I smiled, and yes I have caught myself raising my eyebrow more to see properly

Dr. Rick :

Ok. There can be a number of causes for this, but the most common is a tearing or weakening of the muscle that raises the eyelid. Of course, at age 24, that would not be real common.

Customer:

But it's not really "screaming" obvious

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I very much doubt that you have a brain tumor :)

Dr. Rick :

so that is good new, eh?

Dr. Rick :

So. What should you do?

Customer:

Yes that is good new thank u!

Customer:

news *

Dr. Rick :

I think you should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist (EYE MD) for a complete exam.

Dr. Rick :

I left off the "s" too, so we are even lol!

Customer:

Lol so we did! An eye md?

Dr. Rick :

yes. Not an optometrist, but an ophthalmologist....a doctor who does eye surgery and went to medical school.

Dr. Rick :

not that you need surgery, mind you, just that they are the best trained to evaluate your issue.

Customer:

Oooh ok.. So u are pretty sure that I'm good (yes i know im paranoid) lol that even though i basically never got headaches before these?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I do not think you should go and max out your credit cards right now 'cuz I think you will live long enough to have to pay them back lol!

Dr. Rick :

There are millions of reasons for headaches....no need to invoke a brain tumor to explain them :)

Dr. Rick :

even with the droopy lid;

Customer:

Aww Yay! :D I had an aunt through marriage that had a brain tumor and I think we have all become very skittish with symptoms like these

Dr. Rick :

That would do it!

Dr. Rick :

Just get in to see an ophthalmologist in the near future and I think you will be fine. For the headaches, a GP or neurologist could help if OTC meds are not cutting it.

Customer:

I will make an appointment next week then. Sounds good. Again, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you've made me feel loads better!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Glad I could help. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS