Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Over the past couple of years, my left eye has begun to droop

Over the past couple of years, my left eye has begun to droop a little and I have recently started getting mild headaches on the left side of my head, by my eye. The headaches come and go, and don't last very long when I have them, but I'm paranoid this is a brain tumor symptom?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, I would not rush to think that this is all caused by a brain tumor......

Dr. Rick :

Brain tumors are, first of all, very rare and secondly would cause lots of other symptoms after all these years.

Dr. Rick :

Is it your left upper eyelid that is getting a bit droopy?

Customer:

Yes it is

Dr. Rick :

Is it so droopy that people comment on it and it also blocks your vision?

Customer:

I did not notice any drooping at all in 2010 but have since then, it's steadily gotten worse

Customer:

My mother commented on a picture she saw of me when I smiled, and yes I have caught myself raising my eyebrow more to see properly

Dr. Rick :

Ok. There can be a number of causes for this, but the most common is a tearing or weakening of the muscle that raises the eyelid. Of course, at age 24, that would not be real common.

Customer:

But it's not really "screaming" obvious

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I very much doubt that you have a brain tumor :)

Dr. Rick :

so that is good new, eh?

Dr. Rick :

So. What should you do?

Customer:

Yes that is good new thank u!

Customer:

news *

Dr. Rick :

I think you should make an appointment with an ophthalmologist (EYE MD) for a complete exam.

Dr. Rick :

I left off the "s" too, so we are even lol!

Customer:

Lol so we did! An eye md?

Dr. Rick :

yes. Not an optometrist, but an ophthalmologist....a doctor who does eye surgery and went to medical school.

Dr. Rick :

not that you need surgery, mind you, just that they are the best trained to evaluate your issue.

Customer:

Oooh ok.. So u are pretty sure that I'm good (yes i know im paranoid) lol that even though i basically never got headaches before these?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I do not think you should go and max out your credit cards right now 'cuz I think you will live long enough to have to pay them back lol!

Dr. Rick :

There are millions of reasons for headaches....no need to invoke a brain tumor to explain them :)

Dr. Rick :

even with the droopy lid;

Customer:

Aww Yay! :D I had an aunt through marriage that had a brain tumor and I think we have all become very skittish with symptoms like these

Dr. Rick :

That would do it!

Dr. Rick :

Just get in to see an ophthalmologist in the near future and I think you will be fine. For the headaches, a GP or neurologist could help if OTC meds are not cutting it.

Customer:

I will make an appointment next week then. Sounds good. Again, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you've made me feel loads better!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Glad I could help. Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.