Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a severe pain in my right eye. It is exactly at the

I have a severe pain in my right eye. It is exactly at the center behind the eye ball. I have gone for Glaucoma test and it is negative. Not sure why it is coming in only in eye (as if it is dry eye it should be in both).

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Were you examined by an ophthalmologist when you had the glaucoma test?

Dr. Rick :

At the time of your eye exam, where you experiencing the issue with pain behind your right eye?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Were you examined by an ophthalmologist when you had the glaucoma test?
Dr. Rick : At the time of your eye exam, where you experiencing the issue with pain behind your right eye?
Dr. Rick :

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Also, is your vision affected in anyway?

Do you have nausea?

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have nausea or any other problems.

I would like you to give a rating on the other question where you and I worked on this issue before. Then I will be happy to continue here.

I look forward to your action.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have given rating for whatever discussion we had till now. Would like to discuss more on this

I meant on the other thread.....but thank you.

It is not unusual for dry eye symptoms to appear in one eye only even though both eyes have clinical evidence of problems at the slit lamp exam.

Why does this happen? No one knows.....

Do. What should you do? Do the home therapy we discussed on the other thread and give it a few weeks. If there is no improvement, see an ophthalmologist.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I'm still here if you have more questions.
Thank you for the positive ratings :-)

We can continue our discussions here, at no additional charge, if you so desire.

Let me know

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I strongly believe that it is not dry eye. If it was there can't be such a big variance and we see with two eyes equally until otherwise required.

and I feel it is some nerve (not really sure what component) and it pains exactly at the center behind the eye ball and never goes away and becomes severe as my work on computer/driving. This becomes an hindrance for my work

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

There is no physiological reason for you to have the pain through the mechanism you describe.

Most of the time, sinus problems cause pain that is referred to the area behind the eyeball.

Perhaps you would fell better if you had a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist, with particular attention to any issues that could be causing your pain, as well as an MRI of your head and orbits.

Does this make sense to you?

In the meantime, give the home therapy we discusses a go....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Definitely I will give a try to Home Therapy. My ophthalmologist has done few test and I don't know the names of them.

Could you please advice the List/Names of all tests I need to examined for identifying the accurate or pinpoint the exact reason.

A vision test,slit lamp exam,eye pressure check, dilated retina exam. In rare cases you might need a visual field test and, possibly, a hertel test.

As we discussed, an MRI of you head and orbits might make you feel better that nothing is going on behind your eye.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does sinus create pain in only in Single eye?

Yes. This is very common.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you suggest me to go for Sinus Test. I don't have any problems regarding Sinus yet. What could be the other symptoms?

I think the MRI would be a better option for you as it would evaluate everything at once.