Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Yesterday my eye was sore - still is - and today I discovered

Yesterday my eye was sore - still is - and today I discovered that I have a small whitish bump in the extreme outside corner of my eye (between the eyeball and socket bone). What could this be?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like what you have is an early chalzion or stye.

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Whats a chalzion? I thought a stye was usually centered below the eye in the lower lid. This "bump" isnt on a lid but in the outside corner - about half the size of a BB.

Dr. Rick :

They can be located anywhere on either the upper lid, the lower lid or in the angle.

Dr. Rick :

Is your bump not on or right next to your eyelids at all?

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to take a picture and upload it to me using the paper clip on your screen?

Customer:

the bump is perfectly within the outside corner of my left eye - exactly between the eyeball and the (lateral?) socket bone.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Is it hard to the touch and painless?

Customer:

I'm now in a meeting for the next 2 hours - I'll return, thankyou

Dr. Rick :

OK. I will switch this thread over to the Q&A format and leave it open. Each of us will get an email when anything new is posted to the thread.

Customer:

It's very small don't think I could feel it if I touched it - the surrounding area seems to be sore.

Dr. Rick :

I look forward to continuing our conversation. I am sure, with a little time, we can figure out what is going on and what you can do to fix things.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, in that case it might be angular blepharitis. The lid scrubs I discussed above will help, as well as warm compresses. I would also put a little dab of bacatracin, or triple antibiotic ointment (available OTC) on the skin in the area.

Dr. Rick :

If things are not showing some improvement (not 100% resolved, but a bit better) by early next week then I suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

If you have any further questions, or would like to discuss this issue further, after you get out of your meeting, just type in the box below and we can continue.

Have a good day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - out of my meeting now (sorry!) - and now I noticed the whitish little 'BB" is gone - just a sore and irritated corner of the eye now - maybe it's healing?

It might have been a inclusion cyst. These are small lumps that form when a skin gland gets plugged up.

You may have rupture it when you were trying to feel it before.....I bet that is what has happened.

I would do some home therapy to make the area feel better:

I hope this helps....and that your meeting was not too boring :-)

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS