Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi - My 13 year old son was seen by an optometrist yesterday

Hi - My 13 year old son was seen by an optometrist yesterday and they did this new digital "optomap" of the eye. My husband's mother had RP but none of her 3 kids have it and my son had been seeing an opthamalogist every year. Through dialation, the opthamologist never saw evidence of RP in him but this new optomap by the Optometrist revealed some "questionable variation of pigment" in the back of his eyes.
I'm wondering how scared I should be that it's early signs of RP (is the digital map super accurate), what else could cause the variation, and if my husband (or his siblings) don't have RP, could it really get passed on to my son (if autosomal dominant, then my husband should have it)?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Optometrists should not buy and use instruments that they are not trained to read

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what genetic variant of RP your family has?

Customer:

So, you don't think the variation is worriesome? She pulled up RP pictures in Google and showed how his eye map showed some of the same "white" spots/variation...

Customer:

No...my mother-in-law has passed away.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

No one else in her family ever had it and they think her's was a mutation...

Customer:

Is there a blood test to detect RP?

Dr. Rick :

The Optomap is not a good instrument for detecting RP.

Dr. Rick :

I would not give this optometerists report any weight at all.

Customer:

Oh thank goodness. I'm making an appointment with the RP specialist at Stanford that my mother-in-law used to go to. My son saw him once before when he was 3 (because he has night vision problems) and that Dr. at that time didn't see anything. But I understand it can come within onset of age?

Dr. Rick :

while there is no specific blood test that shows RP a genetic workup/family history can give insight into some of the subtypes

Customer:

OK, good to know. I'll ask the opthamalogist to see if they can pull that from her records...

Dr. Rick :

there are many genetic diseases associated with RP and, if his grandmothers medical eye records could be obtained some good information might be gleaned from those data

Dr. Rick :

While I do not specialize in RP ( I am a "general" retina specialist) I have a number of RP patients in my practice.

Customer:

Hmmm, interesting. So, your saying that RP is a side effect of another genetic disease?

Dr. Rick :

Who, might I ask, are you going to see in Stanford? I bet I know them

Customer:

Dr. Michael Marmor.

Dr. Rick :

don't waste your son's time with optometrists any more.

Customer:

: )

Dr. Rick :

You make me smile. I know Dr. Marmor well. You are in fantastic hands

Customer:

He needs glasses so I thought that's where I had to go.

Dr. Rick :

no. Regular ophthalmologists can do glasses, although us retina docs don't

Customer:

Oh, great, I'll let him know I contacted you. : )

Dr. Rick :

We have chatted at AAO retina sub-specialty meetings. He is very, very, very well respected in our field

Customer:

If he does end up having RP, I understand it's a slow progression of loss of sight? So, maybe in 20 years he would need intervention (technology wise there might be something available)?

Dr. Rick :

And Chairman of the Stanford Ophthalmology dept.

Customer:

Awesome - I hope he has good news for us!

Dr. Rick :

It depends on what sub type of RP he has......if any

Customer:

OK, I'll make sure we bring that up. Thank you so much for your help!!

Dr. Rick :

He is one of the leading RP experts in the world

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Sorry that the Optom scared you :(

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sleep better tonight. : )

Dr. Rick :

Having 5 kids myself I know exactly how you feel.

Customer:

Excellent service - thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you know if the the chat stays up so I can write down some of the stuff?

Customer:

5! Wow - you're brave!

Dr. Rick :

You can print it

Dr. Rick :

and two grandkids now!

Dr. Rick :

just right click, print

Customer:

Wow- that's awesome. Full house and a great doctor to keep them healthy!

Customer:

looking for the icon...

Dr. Rick :

Or right click, select all, copy, open word processor, paste and then print as usual

Dr. Rick :

Yes, Our Middle daughter lives in the basement with our grand daughter...it is nice to have such easy access to the baby

Dr. Rick :

no icon....just on your mouse

Dr. Rick :

if you scroll over the text and hit the right mouse button a menu will show up that has a print option.

Customer:

got the copy -

Dr. Rick :

or you could take a picture of the screen with your cell phone. :)

Customer:

Wow - a new baby in the house - no empty nesters!

Dr. Rick :

nope. We are very luck parents

Dr. Rick :

is the print thing working for you ?

Customer:

: ) I copied into Word...

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have a great day!!

Dr. Rick :

there you go! Now just hit that excellent feedback button :)

Dr. Rick :

you too!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest