Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was diagnosed with glaucoma 2 weeks ago and was prescribed

I was diagnosed with glaucoma 2 weeks ago and was prescribed iridotomy to
help drain the fluid which is pressing on the optic nerve. Eye pressure is 22.
Got a second opinion and the doctor thinks cataract surgery will open the
narrow angle and an iridotomy won't be needed. Is this possible?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

yes. That is very possible.

Dr. Rick :

If you have a cataract in that eye that is "ready" for surgery then I would suggest going ahead with cataract removal and seeing if this will open up your angle

Dr. Rick :

In many cases this occurs and, as such you would not require the laser iridotomy

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : yes. That is very possible.
Dr. Rick : If you have a cataract in that eye that is "ready" for surgery then I would suggest going ahead with cataract removal and seeing if this will open up your angle
Dr. Rick : In many cases this occurs and, as such you would not require the laser iridotomy

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.

I am still here and available if you have any further questions for me. Just type in the box below:
Also, an eye pressure of 22 is not really that high (normal is 10 to 21) but, of course, this all depends on the health of your optic nerve, visual field changes etc.

But, based only on the pressure readings you have provided it is reasonable to assume you can safely wait for cataract surgery to open your drainage channels (angle) and help prevent your eye pressure from going up.

Does this make sense to you?