Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had surgery for a detached retina in 1997. Since then i have

I had surgery for a detached retina in 1997. Since then i have a lazy eye and have been diagnosed with double vision. Is there anything that can be done besides just straightening the eyeball

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Depending on the amount of deviation of your eye, prisms can be used to help with the double vision.

Dr. Rick :

These prisms can be a temporary type, fresnel press on prisms that are put on your current glasses, or they can be ground into your glasses Rx.

Dr. Rick :

Another way to "get rid" of the double vision is to wear a patch over one eye....

Dr. Rick :

However, if your eye deviation is of a constant amount and has been stable for some time eye muscle surgery, as you mentioned, is a very effective way of treating your double vision. This surgery is normally done by a pediatric ophthalmologist as they are the experts in this area....even though you are an adult :)

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will change over to Q&A so that you can ask me any follow-up questions you may have.