Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 35 year old woman with a history of periodic migraines

I am a 35 year old woman with a history of periodic migraines and headaches. I am on Imitrex when I have a migraine, and am on verapamil to help reduce the occurrence of them. About 2 weeks ago I had a migraine, so I took an Imitrex to help. The Imitrex did help, but since that migraine I have had a daily mild-to-moderate headache each day for multiple hours each day. I have tried Imitrex once or twice, but it didn't help. I have Crohn's Disease so I avoid NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc), so I am limited to acetaminophen. I have tried to limit my acetaminophen intake since I know it can cause rebound headaches. Up until 2 weeks ago, I didn't have constant headaches. I have been to the eye doctor recently and my eyes are okay. I am not experiencing any sinus, allergy or cold symptoms. My posture seems to be ok also.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi!

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon.

Dr. Rick :

What is it that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I have been having a constant daily headache for the past 2 weeks. It started with a migraine that Imitrex helped.

Customer:

I am on Imitrex when I have a migraine, and am on verapamil to help reduce the occurrence of them. About 2 weeks ago I had a migraine, so I took an Imitrex to help. The Imitrex did help, but since that migraine I have had a daily mild-to-moderate headache each day for multiple hours each day.

Customer:

I have tried Imitrex once or twice, but it didn't help. I have Crohn's Disease so I avoid NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc), so I am limited to acetaminophen. I have tried to limit my acetaminophen intake since I know it can cause rebound headaches.

Dr. Rick :

I, too, am a long time migraine sufferer.....

Dr. Rick :

Yes. I got that part in your post.

Customer:

So you know my pain...

Dr. Rick :

yup. I've actually been put in the hospital with a migraine attack

Customer:

Yikes!

Dr. Rick :

and Doctors do not make good patients :)

Customer:

LOL! Neither do microbiologists who work in public health. :)

Dr. Rick :

That I, truly, believe lol!

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted I would have to think that this recent, recurrent mild to moderate headache is not a migraine but rather related more to a sinus issue or muscle tension type problem

Dr. Rick :

Maybe even allergies.....

Customer:

Even though I am not having any noticeable issues with my sinuses or noticeable allergies?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is possible for the headache to be the only symptom.......

Dr. Rick :

I would try some clariton -D, a room humidifier and maybe some benadryl (although this will make you tired)

Customer:

Ok. Good to know.

Dr. Rick :

If things are not better by Monday then pop in to see your MD and see what she has to say.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I will try all of those and hopefully it will help.

Customer:

Thanks so much!

Dr. Rick :

Hopefully you will have less frequent migraines as you get older. This is what happened with me. I've not have a real killer migraine in almost 10 years :)

Customer:

I will.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS