Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I have brown eyes, I am 66 years old. Lately there has been

I have brown eyes, I am 66 years old. Lately there has been a gray circle around my brown part. what does that mean

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat about the circles you mentioned?

Dr. Tom :

Hi again....just type a quick response so we can get started.

Customer:

Hi, I am ready

Dr. Tom :

OK...give me just a minute to type an answer and then you can ask more questions.

Dr. Tom :

Fisrt, it is very unlikely that you have any problem to worry about. The medical term for the gray circles is arcus senilis....also called arcus cornealis ( I like that term better as I don't equate the mid 60's as any bit senile (-: )....many people develope the circles and don't even relize that they are there. They are so common that we really don't even comment about them in a routine eye exam. Is that helpful and what else can I discuss with you today?

Customer:

But it comes and goes. I mean that there are days that it almost not visible and like right now, it almost look like it's taking over my brown part. why does this happen

Dr. Tom :

Is the circle in one or both eyes?

Customer:

both

Dr. Tom :

OK....let me get you to take a look at the Mayo clinic website on Arcus. When you have reviewed that website let's continue with your question.....but so far I am pretty sure that we are on track here...http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/arcus-senilis/AN01493

Customer:

thanks