Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Doctor I have a severe pain in my right eye. It is exactly

Hi Doctor

I have a severe pain in my right eye. It is exactly at the center behind the eye ball. I have gone for Glaucoma test and it is negative. Not sure why it is coming in only in eye (as if it is dry eye it should be in both).

This comes only when I work on computer or watch TV and stays after that until I go into sleep. In the morning when I wake up, it will be better based on how much I spent on Computer/TV the previous day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi Doctor

This comes only when I work on computer or watch TV and stays after that until I go into sleep. In the mornign when I wake up, it will be better based on how much I spent on Computer/TV the previous day.

Dr. Rick :

There are sinus cavities all around the orbit and directly behind the eye ball is a thin layer bone and then your brain.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been examined by an ophthalmologist and had a special test, called gonioscopy, done?

Customer:

you mean the white spot testing by clicking on mouse?

Dr. Rick :

no. That is a visual field.

Dr. Rick :

This is where a special contact lens, or a lens on a metal stick, is put on your eye and the outflow channels (angle) are examined to make sure you are not at risk for a special type of glaucoma, called angle closure.

Customer:

I remember doctor adding yellow drops and asking me read through a pin holes view

Dr. Rick :

that is to check your vision and eye pressure......you may not have had this test doen

Dr. Rick :

done'

Dr. Rick :

From what you are experiencing it sounds to me like you have an anterior segement/dry eye problem.

Dr. Rick :

Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

Dr. Rick :

are you still there?

Customer:

How to confirm what all I have and what need to be done for these prob

Dr. Rick :

You can treat this at home.....

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

I understand that this treatment seems a bit "too low tech" to be of value, but after 2 decades of clinical practice, I can assure you (even from personal experience :) that it, does indeed, work.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

As you can see, pain like you are experiencing is, in the vast majority of cases, not related to any type of orbital disease. Since there are more pain receptors on the front of your eye then anywhere else on your body, this is where the problem is almost all the time

Customer:

Forgot to say one more thing, my eyes feel better when I keep warm hands rather than washing with cold water.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

That goes along with blepharitis/anterior segment problems so that makes perfect sense to me.

Customer:

yeah trying to get it

Dr. Rick :

Best of luck. Let me know if I can be of any further service. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I just realized that you have asked a question along the same lines as this one but, yet, you have not given me positive feedback for this answer.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest