Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi there. the last 2 morning s i have woken up with severely

Customer Question

Hi there. the last 2 morning s i have woken up with severely puffy/ swollen eye lids. A couple of weeks ago I was doing some welding without a mask, i was closing my eyes when doing the actual welding, but my eyelids got burnt and now it appears to be getting worse, is there a cream or anything i can get for this? Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have flash burns of your eyelids.

Dr. Rick :

I would use cold compresses as well as some 1% hydrocortisone cream.

Dr. Rick :

Apply the cream to the eyelids 2x/day and before you go to bed, being careful not to put on too much so that it doesn't get in your eyes.

Customer:

Ive tried cold compresses but that doesnt appear to do anything.

Dr. Rick :

If things don't show some improvement in a few days I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Try the cream.

Customer:

Can i buy this cream from the chemist?

Dr. Rick :

I am assuming that there is no discharge, broken skin or signs of infection, correct?

Dr. Rick :

yes. You can buy it without a prescription.

Dr. Rick :

And next time wear a welding hood :-)

Customer:

Yea that is all correct, just puffyness then it goes down during the day and is just rashy and sore

Dr. Rick :

Although, I must confess, I've done the same thing myself :(

Dr. Rick :

If the over the counter cream doesn't work then your doctor can give you a prescription for stronger medicine.....but give this a try first.

Customer:

Thanks ill try that cream. Is there anything else I can try aswell?

Dr. Rick :

I think that is all you will need. If you wanted you could also take 50mg of benadryl, but that will make you sleepy.

Customer:

Thank you very much ill go get that stuff now.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lee,

I was just welding a broken piece on my snowmobile and my thoughts turned to you.

I hope your eyelids are doing better.

Take care and let me know if I can do anything to help you again in the future.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yea that cream work a treat thanks Doc. Been back on the welder, using a mask this time, and it's been good as gold.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Lee

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Lee,

Good to hear from you. I'm glad you are doing better.

My weld is holding and my snowmobile is working great. :)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in the future.