Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My eye began bleeding behind the conjunctiva and the white

My eye began bleeding behind the conjunctiva and the white of my eye turned all red, its now resolving. No clear reason to why it happened. Now in the lower lid there are 3 blisters. Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

did you read my question?

Dr. Tom :

Yes....may I ask a couple of questions to get started?

Customer:

of course

Dr. Tom :

OK..thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you have any general medical conditions for which you are treated, and do you take any blood thinners?

Customer:

no blood thinners. I have mild Lupus and hupothyroid. I take Armour thyroid 120mg daily and zoloft 100mg daily.

Dr. Tom :

Got it....well it sounds as if you have had a spontaneous subconjunctival hemorrage. They will all clear spontaneously...and cause no long term problems. The little "blisters" are likely just residual areas where there was a small collecction of edema ( fluid ) ...that too sould clear with out any treatment or long term problem. Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes, I am also an RN so that helps. The blisters are in the lower eyelid, deep in there and new as of today. Very irritating and obstructing the vision in that eye a bit.

Dr. Tom :

Could you possibly take a digital photo and attach it for me to look at?

Dr. Tom :

Are the blisters visible from the external lid surface, or must you retract the lid to see them?

Customer:

got the pics let me attach them

Dr. Tom :

Sure , take your time.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr. Tom :

Thank you.....the second photo is excellent..............yes that appears to simply be conjuntival fluid cysts, and while temporarily annoying, will resolve spontaneously. You will be fine....so don't be concerned. If things don't seem to be trending toward getting back to normal, get one of the ophthalmologist in your medical world to check you out further. I hope this has answered your question, but I'm here if you need anything else?

Customer:

ok then I will just relax. THank you for the help. Do you know if having Lupus (recently diagnosed) would cause that tpye of hemmorhage?

Dr. Tom :

The hemmorhage and the cysts and lupus are unrelated......you don't have to worry about that one. If there's nothing else...best wished.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Tom :

You are very welcome.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems