Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

. PATIENT xxxxxxxxxxxx ntroductory informationName:

Customer Question

. PATIENT xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: introductory information x Relevant medical information Age: 67 years [birth date October 14, 1945]; medical problems: hypertension, diabetes, macular pucker, glaucoma [left eye], squinting, cataract [right eye]. My questions concentrate on my eyes problems. In 2009 I had surgery on the macular pucker of my left eye; the surgery itself was a success, but after that the pressure in that eye became slightly higher [glaucoma]. Ten years earlier I had a cataract surgery in my left eye, and at this moment I have a cataract in my right eye for some time. I do not glaucoma problem in my right eye. I have been postponing the cataract surgery in my right eye, as I was told that a surgery on that eye would not make a big difference for my vision, as the right is the less active eye in my squinting situation. I have been told in Curacao that a combination of correcting the squinting and the cataract in the right eye may be a solution, as I will be using the right eye more and that would have a positive effect on my total vision. I am aware of the risks a squinting surgery at my age [seeing double, etc.] and that brings me to my primary questions. Questions 1. Would you recommend the combined surgery on my right eye, taking into account the risks I run at my age? [I definitely don’t have aesthetic motivation to eliminate the squinting at this level of my life. Squinting correction is primarily a choice if vision improvement will result, without serious side effects]. I hardly could find information in medical sources accessible to me, about medical experience with squinting surgery in seniors. I appreciate your help in this. 2. If the combined surgery is not recommended, would a cataract operation alone give significant vision improvement? 3. Do you have enough expertise and experience in your institution to carry out such activities? 4. Can you give me a first idea of the medical costs involved and the duration of my stay in your country; after a surgery, how many days you have to refrain of traveling by plane. 5. I am planning to be in your country in the period March 1 to March 7, 2013. Is this a suitable period for you, and if not, what would you recommend? Should the duration of the stay be extended? MEDICALintroductoryinformation20130212

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.

Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick, hello. I do not know what kind of more information you need and you did not specify thayt neither. To me my introductory note was clear enough, if not in the amount of information, in any case in the formulation of my questions.

In what I saw of Dr. Phil background I did not see any thing like an ophtomologist.

Taking all this in consideration, I am inclined to thank Dr. Phil for his marginal involvement with my clearly stated questions.

Up to now I have not have any serious reaction of the Just Answer Team, I hope that there soon will a change in this. If yhe questions are too difficult, please tell me, so I can try other organizations.

I trust that you will not charge my account for a servise that up to now, you have not been able to deliver.

Rupert Silberie

1. Would you recommend the combined surgery on my right eye, taking into account the risks I run at my age? [I definitely don’t have aesthetic motivation to eliminate the squinting at this level of my life. Squinting correction is primarily a choice if vision improvement will result, without serious side effects]. I hardly could find information in medical sources accessible to me, about medical experience with squinting surgery in seniors. I appreciate your help in this.

Yes, I would recommend it. It should be safe and effective

2. If the combined surgery is not recommended, would a cataract operation alone give significant vision improvement?

Yes, but not to the degree of the combined

3. Do you have enough expertise and experience in your institution to carry out such activities?

No.

4. Can you give me a first idea of the medical costs involved and the duration of my stay in your country; after a surgery, how many days you have to refrain of traveling by plane.

2000 dollars at least

Probably 7-10 days

5. I am planning to be in your country in the period March 1 to March 7, 2013. Is this a suitable period for you, and if not, what would you recommend? Should the duration of the stay be extended?

You would need two weeks time
Do you still need help?
Do you still need help?