Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My husband mistakenly dropped synotic solution into his eye

My husband mistakenly dropped synotic solution into his eye thinking it was his eye drops. What should we do, I flushed with water. Will he have side effects from this, does he need to go to an emergency center?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Yes, I am here.

Doctor DanB : I think you've already begun what I would recommend to start with: flushing the eyes with water for 10-15 minutes. Then, after that, I would recommend using artificial years 3-4x/day. I do not think he needs to go to the ER tonight. But if, despite the artificial tears, his eyes are still irritated, then I would have him see his ophthalmologist. Does this make sense?

What about tonight if I don't have artificial tears available. I am worried that this contains anything that could leave the eye and get into his system causing other problems? Is this possible. This is a solution to use on dogs ears.

He is actually suppose to see his retina specialist on Friday.

Doctor DanB : The flushing with water should be sufficient to counteract any adverse reactions. Cool compressed can also be helpful for discomfort.

Okay, will do this and hope for best until Friday. Thank you.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!