Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

I have ghost images in both eyes no matter if i close one eye

Customer Question

I have ghost images in both eyes no matter if i close one eye or the other the ghosting is there.. with or without my glasses. I am 60 yrs old and my eye dr has see me twice in the past two months and can not find a problem. I did have double vision that has resolve itself from a car accident in feb 2007 had prisms in both eyes starting at 23 in 2007 and was down to 11 in 2010 and was removed in dec 2012 when i had new glasses made. I was told to make an appoint with a neurologist from my eye dr. what could be causing this? it started around the middle of Jan 2013
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat about your question?

Dr. Tom :

Since you do not seem to be available, I will switch over to the Q and A format. Please do not be worried if you see a posting that our chat has ended...it is just starting...and I will stick with you until we get your question answered.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you are available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The system had me sitting waiting to connect to you. I just look into my email and saw your message. I am online and waiting to get some advise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am available
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard,

Here is your Answer

If there are ghost images in either eye independently, it is not
caused by misalignment of the eyes, so we agree that your glasses without or
without prisms are not the answer. (Although a really crisp refraction...meaning an
up to date eye glass prescription should be confirmed).

The ghosting comes from something that slightly deteriorates the
quality of the image directed to the 20/20 part of your retinas call the foveae......you
say that each eye demonstrates the ghosting, the two most likely causes are (1)
an unstable tear film due to dry eye syndrome, or (2) at your (young) age, the
early development of cataracts.

Both conditions can minimally degrade the visual images reaching
your retinas, and thereby cause the ghosting. And (3) a remote possibility
could be a very early retinal aging problem.

All of these issues are very common diagnosis's seen daily in any
ophthalmologist's office.

Before seeing a neurologist, getting a thorough evaluation from a
comprehensive ophthalmologist, who has a really good reputation as a cataract
surgeon would be the first priority.

Hopefully this information will help you to get to the proper place
to get your problem resolved.

Since you are off line and we can't carry on a back and forth
dialog, I hope this answered your question tonight. If anything further is
needed, let me know and I will respond tomorrow.

You
have my very best wishes that your ghosting problems will be resolved shortly.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Since you are on line...let me know if this has helped..and if I can answer anything else?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you received my reply?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Richard,

Our objective is to answer your question. Please let me know if you require anything further regarding the ghosting you have. I will check back in tomorrow morning to see if you are satisfied or have other questions. Best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a new set of glasses without prisms the end of Dec 2012 and had seen my eye dr again in the end of Jan to look more into this problem with my eyes. Like I said it does not matter what time of day or night. some days are worse then others and with my last note it has gotten worse in the past week that it affects both close and far site. I will make an appoint with my ophthalmologist and check for cataracts. Would this happen in both eyes that fast. My eye dr did not see any signs of cataracts and since I had the car accident in 2007 which I had some brain problems that I had to learn how to walk and talk again and also started with double vision she though that it was more to do with that. any thoughts?I am not sure you got my last message before this. I was check for dry eyes and did not have any problems with that.
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Have you been evaluated by an ophthalmologist?Yes cataracts can demonstrate slow or rapid changes.......and ghosting is a common presentation. Further, ghosting in both eye independly is unlikely to be neurological.Again, your ophthalmologist aCan rule out neurological causes with a visualfield test. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Richard.......it looks like you are offline again....so if you need anything else let me know and I'll answer you in the morning..
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Richard.

Please let me know when you can come back online and into a conversation about your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back online

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me Richard. Is there any other question that I may answer for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The issue is why would it come on so fast. What are the other options for this other then what you talk about. Won't it show up before this when I had my eye exam (twice in 30 days)?

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the follow up question. The three causes I mentioned yesterday are the most common. Without a full dilated exam, it would be difficult to speculate further in this chat Q and A....but you didn't tell me if you were seen by an Ophthalmologist...who is an eye physician and surgeon ( MD)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am making an appoint with my Ophthalmologist. I was going to my regular eye Dr for yearly exam for new glasses.

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Great.....I am confident that your ophthalmologist will get to the bottom of the rather rapid changes you have noticed. Please keep me posted. And let me know if you have other questions. Thanks
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a update. I saw my ophthalmologist yesterday and from what he sees he is still puzzeld since the two things like you said either dry eyes or cateracts, my eyes did not show a little dry but not enough to cause my problems and also I do have also the start of cateracts but also not that bad to cause my problems. So we are going to use the following eye drops Prednisolone acetate Ophthalmic and Refresh optive 4 times a day for two weeks and come back and if no change then we talk about dealing with the cataracts. He said that it still could be the cataracts causing the problem even that it does shows that it just showing and not look bad to match the problems I am having. Have you seen this in your practice?
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thank Richard for the follow up.........Yes I sure have seen this.....early cataracts can do it....it sounds like your new doctor is taking the correct approach....best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just a update. I am going to get both eyes done for cataracts since the drops did not change the problem. One eye will be done in a few weeks and then 4 weeks later the next eye. He is also going to try and fix some of my astigmatism in my left eye when he does the surgery. Thanks for the input.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your up date. Best wishes.