Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have been diagnosed with the skin over both corneas as loose.

I have been diagnosed with the skin over both corneas as loose. I am in considerable pain especially when I have slept and attempt to open my eyes. I am also very light sensitive. the treatment presently is both corneas covered with a medicated contac lens. I would like to know if anyone has heard of this? if so what treatments are out there and what causes it? Also duration??

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Yes, this is called recurrent erosion syndrome
Doctor DanB : For people with this, they often, but not always, have a history of an incidental trauma such as a twig glancing across the front of their eye, or a paper scratch or child's fingernail scratch to the eyeball at some point in the past. This incidental trauma can set off a reaction in the epithelium (superficial most layer of the cornea) that causes that portion of the epithelium to no longer adhere its underlying stromal (substance) tissue of the cornea, predisposing to corneal abrasions, or scratches, that often present like this. The kicker about this is, though, even when the patient makes it into the eye doctor's office within a few hours of the onset of the pain, the scratch is often times completely healed or almost totally healed so that there is very little to no evidence of this.
Doctor DanB : The first line of treatment is to use a hypertonic saline solution either in drop form or appointment form that can help the skin of the cornea it here to the underlying substance of it. This is called Muro 128. If this is being used regularly and is still not enough, then corneal stromal micro puncture with a tiny needle can help anchor the scan of the cornea down. In addition, a corneal laser called PTK can be useful in helping these symptoms to resolve.
Doctor DanB : The duration of this if not treated with the needle, or laser, is indefinite.