Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

What do you do about broken blood vessels in the eye?

Customer Question

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. What you're referring to is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This essentially amounts to a bruise on the eye, except on the eye the tissue that the blood is underneath is transparent so you see the blood exactly the color it is, versus a bruise on your arm which is hiding beneath layers of skin.

There are things that can predispose to getting these hemorrhages. Warfarin (coumadin) is one of the most common drugs that cause this. However, taking aspirin, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve, naprosyn can thin the blood and predispose to these. Also taking garlic, ginseng, ginko biloba and vitamin E can also thin the blood and predispose to getting these. However, as any bruise, these can happen without taking any of these blood-thinning medications.

Also when there is significant pressure being generated in the eye or head, this can happen from that. Examples of this include eye rubbing, sneezing, coughing, lifting a heavy load or straining against a bowel movement.

If you are not taking any of these medicines or vitamins and/or you've not had any of these pressure causing events, then having multiple episodes of this could be a sign of a bleeding problem and should be checked out by your primary care doctor.

In the meantime, if there is any eye discomfort, cool compresses and/or artificial tears can help alleviate your symptoms. As long as there has been no prior eye surgery or trauma, however, there is usually little cause for concern. These hemorrhages will usually resolve in 1-3 weeks spontaneously, as any bruise would.

Doctor DanB :

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

JACUSTOMER-3xfwkipr- : Nobody answered my question. is this a scam???