Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Good morning, my wife has had shingles in her eye for 2 weeks

Customer Question

Good morning, my wife has had shingles in her eye for 2 weeks now . I've taken her to an eye doctor twice and to regular doctor here in town.. The shingles on her forehead have cleared up. But she is still having trouble with her eye. Her vision is getting blurry and distorted.. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Has she been examined by an ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

What eye drops is she using?

Customer:

yes twice, some sort of steroid.

Dr. Rick :

When was she last examined and how has her vision done since that appointment/

Dr. Rick :

?

Customer:

week ago, vision has decreased.

Dr. Rick :

Is the drop called Pred Forte 1%

Customer:

going to dbl check.. brb

Dr. Rick :

and there should also be a drop with a red top....

Customer:

tobramycin-dexameth ophth susp

Dr. Rick :

that's all?

Customer:

yes and told to use eye drops for dryness

Dr. Rick :

OK. Well....something is not making sense here. This eye doctor, she is an MD....does cataract surgery etc, correct?

Customer:

not 100% sure, we have no insurance.. went and seen an optometrist, whom was listed local and cheap.

Dr. Rick :

That makes more sense.....this issue is beyond the ability of an optometrist to deal with.

Dr. Rick :

If, indeed, your wife has shingles in her eye, the treatment she is getting does not make sense at all.......

Dr. Rick :

I would get her in to see an ophthalmologist today. Make sure this person is an MD and does eye surgery......

Dr. Rick :

local and cheap is not the best person to use when it comes to your eyes......

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry was typing a lot to respond.. I am currently unemployed. have already spent most of the rent money to see three Dr's .. Two trips to eye doc, one to an MD here in town.. spending more money for your opinion. i am ignorant to what needs to be done for her.... do you have any recommendations for someone certified in the area of Ann Arbor Mich.?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Any general ophthalmologist can help your wife in Ann Arbor. I'm sorry but I don't go anyone in particular. But, as I said, anyone who can see her today (as long as that doctor is an ophthalmologist, MD,) that will be fine.

Herpes Zoster can affect the eye in many different ways and the treatment varies on how the eye is being attacked. As such, a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist, including dilation to evaluate the retina for any possible involvement, is needed.

As her vision is getting worse it is important that you not delay seeking care....make sure she is evaluated by an Eye MD today.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done more research, the eye doc is an MD . And does cataract surgery.. which concerns me.. what can i do or ask to see if my wife is getting the correct treatment???????? keeping in mind she is claiming it feels like there is something on the back of her eye ( moved from the front to back) and vision is blurry and becoming distorted..

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Based on the treatment that the eye MD is giving your wife, the shingles is probably not affecting her eye much.

That being said, I am concerned that her vision is getting worse.

This is not something you can deal with on your own.

I would suggest going to a different ophthalmologist today for another evaluation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have set up an appointment with another eye MD, that is why i asked the question ... As it is to my wife and myself her vision is very important to us.. I am just trying to make sure she is getting the RIGHT care. you feel me on this?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I sure do.

I wish I could tell you exactly what your wife needs as far as treatment but zoster can affect the eye in a large number of ways. As a retina specialist I get involved when there is inflammation in the back of the eye (posterior uveitis) or the retina is involved.

The treatment she needs will depend on what is found on exam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well i realize with out you seeing her, an accurate diagnoses was and is unrealistic.. i thought i had narrowed it down enough for you to give me a few things to look for while this MD was examining her.. I guess all i can do is after her exam is ask you if this seems like a joke of an MD as well... this one is costing me three times the amount of the first one.... (UGH) but its important! just wish you could have been more helpful.. Are you going to be reachable around 3pm est. today to revisit this issue?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I should be on and off most of the day and will check back for any word from you.

Ask the MD for as much information as possible. Actually, if he could give you a copy of his clinical note you could scan it and upload it and I would be happy to tell you what the doctor found.

Talk to you soon.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

I was just thinking about your wife and wondering what the ophthalmologist found on Monday.

I hope she is getting the care she needs and that her vision is improving.

Take care and have a good day.

Dr Rick MD FACS