Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My wife called me at work on Friday. She said her eye was swelling

Customer Question

My wife called me at work on Friday. She said her eye was swelling real bad for no reason. When I got home it was red & yellow with a black ring at the bottom. The upper lid was swollen but still the normal skin color. She had what looked like puss weeeping from under the corner of her eye. She said that ice made it hurt but heat made it feel better. She has been sick for about a week with a cold & real nasty sinus discharge. Anyone have an idea as to what this is?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

Ok, have you got any idea what this is?

Customer:

I have a picture of it when I first got home & then yesterday. would you like me yo attache them?

Dr. Tom :

Hello...I am sorry to hear about your wife. I will try to help. May I ask a couple of questions?

Customer:

Yes go ahead

Dr. Tom :

First, is there anyway that you could take a digital photograph to attach for me to look at?

Dr. Tom :

Second...when she touches the lid..is there any point tenerness...like where a small bump or cyst might be getting started?

Customer:

Friday
Full Size Image

Customer:

This is from Friday.

Customer:

Saturday
Full Size Image
This is Saturday. Note the little white puss pockets

Dr. Tom :

Great, thanks for that ! How has it changed now that two days have passed?

Customer:

It looks a little better. If you give me a minute I can take a picyure of it now

Dr. Tom :

OK...take your time.

Dr. Tom :

Does she have increased temperature...or pain on eye movement...or decreased vision?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

No eye pain, just around where it is swollen.

Customer:

Her eye is clear & white as well.

Customer:

All of the swellin happended within about 15 minutes.

Dr. Tom :

Thanks for the third photo....Based on your description of how this started, it's most likely that all of this came from an internal eyelid inflamation call an internal sty or chalazion....they can evolve very rapidly..........and hot moisted compresses are the primary treatment. And I agree, it does not appear that the eye itself is involved...that is good news........so give me a minute to make some recommendations.

Customer:

Could this have had anything to do with her sinus problem?

Dr. Tom :

It might have some sinus relationship. The lid swelling ....edema....and the redness will take a week or so to resolve. She may have a little cyst sac that remains. Sometimes we have to open and drain these in the office...hopefully she will slowly clear on her own.....what you must look for is fever, onset of new swelling, decreased vision and pain on eye move.....if those occur she MUST be seen by an ophthalmologist or an ER doctor. What she has , does have the potential of clearing without any further treatment beyond hot compresses, but be very careul, and if any of the signs I mentioned occur, please get her to professional treatment. does this make sense...and do you have other questions?

Customer:

I need to step away for a few minutes. I will be back.

Dr. Tom :

Take your time.

Customer:

Yes this makes sence. Will the Z pack help with clearing this up?

Customer:

Are you still there?

Dr. Tom :

Yes...still here.

Dr. Tom :

As for the Z pac....if she has a bacterial sinus infection it would be indicated.

Customer:

Will the Z pack help?

Customer:

ok, so it may or may not deppending on what type of infection, right?

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually got Jill into our family doctor on Monday morning. He looked her over & found her sinus infection was the worst he had seen in some time. He gave her several other things to take to clear it up. She has a follow up with him next week. She may also be going to an ear, nose & throat expert if this is not cleared up. Thanks for your help it was very much appreciated!!!

Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the follow up..Please give Jill my best wishes for a speedy recovery..

BTW, if you should ever wish to do so, you may direct another question to me directly by specifically asking for me in any new eye related question that you might have.

Again, best wishes.