Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

Im a twentytwo year old college cheerleader. Approximately

Customer Question

I'm a twentytwo year old college cheerleader. Approximately one month ago I was hit in the face at practice. The flyer was flipping in the air and her knee landed on my nose. My nose swelled up, and I had a black eye (my right eye). My nose didn't bleed, but it has been stuffy ever since. It was sore for about 3 weeks, but recently started feeling better. I went to the trainer at my school, who wanted me to go for xrays after the swelling went down, but I just didn't get the chance to, plus it was starting to feel better. The trainer thought it might be fractured since my nose was so sensative to touch. This past Friday, the bridge of my nose was hit at practice again, and this time the pain was so much worse. I thought my whole face was on fire. My nose did not bleed out much ,but it can hardly breath through it. Every time it does run, blood comes out. My nose and eyes are swollen and both my eyes are starting to blacken. My head hasn't stopped hurting. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Tom replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat now?

Customer:

Yes I am available to chat now.

Dr. Tom :

From the sounds of your second accident, and your present symptoms, you really do need to see a doctor. Does this make sense? If so I'll help you decide what to do next.

Customer:

Should I see an ENT doctor, or just go for xrays?

Customer:

What can I do to treat my nose in the meantime, while I wait to get an appointment somewhere? I have been icing my nose and taking IBprofen

Dr. Tom :

Great question..............that is exately what I was going to suggest..an ENT would be your first and best choice....so see if you can get in with one tomorrow. If you just had x-rays done, you would need a professional evaluation anyway. If you can't see an ENT tomorrow call your family doctor...and if you don't have one, you might consider going to the ER to get things started. ....may I answer anything else for you?

Dr. Tom :

I see you added a question while I was typing my last answer........ice and pain medicine are all until you see the ENT. Does that make sense?

Dr. Tom :

Your head ache makes me a little concerned about the possibility of a concussion. Were you knocked out at all?

Customer:

Ok so what is your best guess knowing that this is not a diagnosis. Do you think it is broken or fractured etc...?

Dr. Tom :

Given you have been hit twice, have significant swelling and brusing and are having bleeding, there is enough to feel the need to rule out a fracture. It's possible to have your sysmtoms with out having a fracture....but you really must go in to get checked out.

Customer:

No I was not knocked out, but I have had a concussion before from getting hit at practice. This was about a year ago. I am going to go to the doctor to get it looked at. Thank you so much for all you help.

Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience: 30 years experience treating patients with eye problems