Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

HELLO, I HAVE SYMPTONS OF RETINA DETACHMENT. LEFT EYE FLASHING

Customer Question

HELLO,

I HAVE SYMPTONS OF RETINA DETACHMENT. LEFT EYE FLASHING FLOTERS SPIDER WEB ON LEFT EDGE. I HAVE BEEN TO 2 EYE DOCTORS SINCE THESE HAVE OCCURED. THEY
SEEM TO SAY WAIT AND SEE AND CAN SEE DEGENERATION ON EDGE OF OF RETINA BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE ALL.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. We're these ophthalmologists you saw or optometrists? If ophthalmologist, was either one a retinal specialist?
JACUSTOMER-z14fsl0a- :

BOTH WERE OPTOMETRISTS WHICH I HAD BEEN LED TO BELIEVE SINCE IT WAS A CLINIC THAT THE SECOND ONE WAS A CLINIC THAT WAS RECOMENDED TO ME AS RETINA SPECIALIST.

JACUSTOMER-z14fsl0a- :

I AM CONCERNED. THERE IS NO HISTORY OF DETACHED RETINA IN MY FAMILY.

Doctor DanB : If both were optometrists, the first thing I would do is get seen by an ophthalmologist.
Doctor DanB : If you can accomplish that by seeing a retinal specialist, all the better, but any comprehensive ophthalmologist is going to know what's going on here and if you are at significant risk of a retinal detachment.
Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, while optometrists are good for doing regular eye exams, fitting glasses and contacts and dealing with basic medical problems of the eye, they do not have the training to deal with the advanced medical problems of the retina.
JACUSTOMER-z14fsl0a- :

THANKS I WILL CONTINUE TO TRY AND FIND HELP. IT IS A SCAREY PROBLEM.

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!