Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I was 47 years old when I had my first cateract surgery with

I was 47 years old when I had my first cateract surgery with lattice generation noted. There was no prophalatic treatment of the eye for the lattice. About two months later I saw floaters in my vision and promptly went to my doc who told me I had a retinal tear. I also now have clouded vision in the eye that was treated. Is there any danger in getting this eye treated with laser surgery for the clouded vision? Also, I have a cateract in the other eye with lattice generation what factors suggest my eye should be treated before the cateract surgery? What dangers are associated with treating before hand.

Thanks very much

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes, I am. I am on-line now.

Dr. Tom :

Great....yours are excellent questions and exately what I would want one of my cataract patients to ask,,,,,give me a minute to type answers to each....

Customer:

Also, please note that the retinal tear ws treated with laser therapy. But I still have some clouded vision after cateract surgery which some people also get this treated with laser surgery. Does the retinal tear that has already been treated suggest that I should not get rid of some clounded vision?

Dr. Tom :

Your Question #"Is there any danger in getting this eye treated with laser surgery for the clouded vision? "...there is very low risk to having the YAG laser treatment for cloudy vision if the cloudy vision is due to some mild clouding of the capsule behind the implant. Your previous lattice treatment will not be disturbed..........Question # XXXXX " what factors suggest my eye should be treated before the cateract surgery?...... Any significant thinning of the lattice would definately warrant treatment.....but you might want to get the opinion of a retina specialist in your case....if I were your doctor, I would be glad if you did.........Question #3 " What dangers are associated with treating before hand.?"........by this I take it that you are refering to laser threatment of the latticce.....the risk are very small....and definately worth it is there is the thinning I mentioned.

Customer:

Question 1- I didn't have treatment in the first cateract surgery for lattice. I had treatment only after the tear was found. So now I am worried that the Yag treatment might disturb or cause issues with this eye.

Customer:

Question 2, how thin is thin when we are talking about lattice treatment? what are the risks though small

Dr. Tom :

Please let me address one question at a time so we don't type over each other.

Dr. Tom :

Q #1..You do not have to worry about having YAG for your first eye. It will not have any effect on your second cataract Sx or lattice treatment in the other eye.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the risks for treatment of lattice on the second eye before cateract surgery. I have read many differing opinions and need some very concrete reasons to move forward or not.

Dr. Tom :

Q#2....laser risks are low.....inflamation around the area of laser burn is possible, but unlikely.....however with your prior history of a lattice related retinal tear, I would lean toward pre-treatment. Have you talked to a retina specialist?

Customer:

Yes, but didn't throughly discuss. I need to do that. He wants to pretreat. I am so afraid now and wondering why they did not treat my previous eye before hand. I am sure you can understand the thoughts of a patient who doesn't know alot and has already had some disturbed vision with the first cateract surgery. thanks

Dr. Tom :

You bet I do understand........give me a second to address this for you.

Dr. Tom :

Because the risk of pre-treatment is so low, and because the retina docs are so highly trained to deal with your lattice problem....were it my eye or my daughter's ...or any patient I care for....I would confidently have the pretreatment done. Please don't let your concerns about all of the matters about your first Sx ride too heavy in you decision making. Your concern is understandable....but eventually you will have to make a decision.....and it sounds like the consentsis amoung your doctors is trending toward pre-treatment. Does that information help any?

Customer:

Thank you. Yes your info. helps. Esp. since you are a professional in retinal surgery. If there is a consensus then I too will probably lean toward getting the treatment. Thanks again..

Customer:

Just one more question about floaters after the tear. Does Jag help with that vision issue