Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have had cataract surgery five weeks ago and have got a swelling

Customer Question

I have had cataract surgery five weeks ago and have got a swelling behind the eye. I have been prescribed drops. I am supposed to be flying for three hours later today. Would you think this would be ok or is it better not to fly?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the swelling behind the eye could be macular edema. In such a case it is alright to fly as the pressure changes would have no effect on the macular edema.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Restriction to flying is given in conditions such as detachment of the retina and post - RD surgery wherein gas bubble has been used. But for this flying is not contraindicated after cataract surgery/macular edema.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I will now fly with more confidence.

I am glad to know that you found the answer satisfactory and that you would go ahead with your scheduled flight.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you.