Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have been suffering with a headache and dizzyness for over

I have been suffering with a headache and dizzyness for over a week and was concerned as to the cause, thinking I had a brain tumor or something terrible. Well this morning when I woke my nose started running water and I have gotten stuffed up just behind the nose area throughout the day. If this was a sinus problem all along wouldn't I have had pain in that area? I have never had sinus problems before but my house is very dry with the heat on recently.......

Welcome to Pearl.com

The headache is most likely to be due to sinusitis ( need not be infective , it could even be allergic sinusitis). You are right about local tenderness around the sinuses like the brow area but it is not mandatory for everyone to have it. Since you do have nasal discharge and congestion too, it does look more like a bout of sinusitis. Sinusitis can also cause inner ear dysfunction leading to the symptom of dizziness. In case of viral sinusitis , it usually heals naturally within 7-10 days. Allergic sinusitis would however take longer to disappear since it is very difficult to pin down the exact allergen ( could be anything in the air such as pollen/dust and can get triggered by a change in weather too).

You can try taking Tab.Acetaminophen , 650 mg , twice a day for 3 days along with Tab.Zyrtec, 10 mg , one tablet at bedtime. Along with this doing steam inhalation 2-4 times a day would help to relieve the congestion. If there is a nasal block from too much congestion , you can put decongesant nasal spray. If not then only nasal saline drop would help.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist