Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems

71 year old man extremely sensitive to noise also some hearing loss. headaches "beh

71 year old man extremely sensitive to noise also some hearing loss. headaches "behind" eyes. Loss of appetite. lack of energy Acute hearing for past 10 + years now intensified to being somewhat dysfunctional in the past week. Has "hardenng of the artieies" and has had 2 ablasions in summer 2011
Just had colonoscopy and endoscopy. Digosed with H Pyloric. Antibiotics supplied for H-Pyloric caused extreme head ache and nausia. Discontinued after 2 days of treatment 9 days past. Sensitivity to noise ongoing and now extremely severe. Wesrs ear plugs. Stays in "quiet" rooms. Pulls blankets over ears.

Dr. Tom :

Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom

Dr. Tom :

When you are available, I will be happy to discuss your 71 yo with extreme sensitivity to sound and pressure behind his eyes. Send me a message when you can chat.

Dr. Tom :

Since you are offline, I will switch over to the Q and A format. Don't worry if you see a note about our chat having ended. It has not ended, we'll get started when I hear from you. I will be standing by this afternoon.

Thanks for letting me help with your question. Just send an email when you are available to chat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am on line now... you have a few minutes to discuss your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes On line at this email address now

Your 71yo has a condition called hyperacusis. He really needs to be evaluated by a specialist in the ENT field who is fellowship trained in neurontology, because there is the chance that he has Superior Canal Dehiscence syndrome.....which is treatable.

If you would like me to , I will try to get you a reference if you tell me your nearest large city.

Does this make sense so far?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes.. The hearing issue is 10+ years. He attributes this to playing in a band and loud noise. At this point he is almost schizoaffective very odd not appropriate to socialize or function with the general public.

Irritable. Loss of appetite. Reclusive

From your posting it implied that this extreme sensitivity to sound was a recent finding. Has it been this bad for 10 years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but just in an irritating mannar, The past several

months he has had severe issues looks pretty psychotic. I wonder if this also has an Alzh. basis?

He has family hx

That is a he agreeable to further medical/psych evaluation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

at this point yes. He has a Dr.( surgeon )who did ablasions, also last month saw a Gastero. guy, but no other. Should I take him to ER and let them do a work up and therefore "instant" appropriate medical help?

An ER is always a good place to get the basics started if things seem critical. Always focus on the primary complaint this case you posted the extreme sound sensitivity as the major current problem. However if things seem to be pointing to a psych/depression area, the ER docs will be able to head him in the right direction............if, on the other hand, do don't feel that it is ER critical....You might want to inquire regarding your county's senior citizen in home social services department. A visit from them might get things going in the right direction.

Please let me know if this is helpful and if you have any other question about him?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. From your answers, I think he has a variety of issues, the first, hyperacusis, sounds correct. I also
wonder if he is is early stage one or two Alzh. and that

dysfunction is adding to and complicating the issue for he is forgetful, doesn't feel well, has the eye/sunlight sensitivity, the hypersensitivity in his ears, very agitated and no tolerance for most anything he deems as irritating. (dogs barking both near and far away, TV in the next room, sounds that are not noticable to me. sounds like you are a very caring friend/son ?? He is lucky to have you to look after his well being.

Is there anything else that I might answer for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no. okey.. Thanks. I know what we need to do.

Great to be of wishes.