Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive been working overnight shifts five days a week for about

Customer Question

I've been working overnight shifts five days a week for about 4 months now. No matter how much sleep I get during the day, I'm always tired. But it gets really bad every few weeks. I'll get up in the evening for work, or I'll be at work, and I'll have a bout where I physically can not keep my eyes open, or stay concious - I feel like I will pass out and there's nothing I can do to stop it. Then I throw up. After I vomit a few times, I feel better and I have more energy. There is no pain associated with these bouts, just major fatigue and lethargy followed by nausea. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. There are a number of medical conditions that need to be ruled out.

Dr. Rick :

Things like diabetes, thyroid disease, liver problems etc can all cause symptoms like you are experiencing.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing for you to do is to get in for a full physical examination and some blood work with your primary care MD on Monday. Hopefully she will be able to find the source of your lethary and get you feeling better.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Yes. There are a number of medical conditions that need to be ruled out.
Dr. Rick : Things like diabetes, thyroid disease, liver problems etc can all cause symptoms like you are experiencing.
Dr. Rick : The best thing for you to do is to get in for a full physical examination and some blood work with your primary care MD on Monday. Hopefully she will be able to find the source of your lethargy and get you feeling better.
Dr. Rick : Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.

I will standby in case yo have any other questions or comments for me.....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why was I sent to an eye specialist?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I asked an internal medicine question that was answered by an eye specialist, vaguely
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I think the computer sent you to the eye thread because you mentioned that you couldn't keep your eyes open......

As they say: "To Err is Human. To Really Mess Up you need a Computer" lol!

Even though I am a lowly eye surgeon, my advice is still sound.

What more in depth information would you like?

But, should you so desire, I would be happy to have your question moved to the medicine thread so a "real doctor" can help you.

Let me know what you would like to do and I will get it done.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I will have your question moved to the medicine thread.

Please stand-by as this may take a few moments.

Take care and have a good weekend.