Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

Hi-The last two times Ive left the hair salon after getting

Hi-The last two times I've left the hair salon after getting my roots touched up (dye my hair) & a blow out (hairdryer on my hair) I will slowly develop blurry vision & a feeling of straining in my eyes. Oh & lights have halos around them? I can see but of course not as clearly as I usually do. Didn't sleep very well & went to the eye Dr. the following morning & she said that nothing physically damaging in my eye but that it's likely inflammation & that I have a bit of dry eye? She gave me rx for antibotic for 5 days-Instill 1 drop three times a day (eye drops) & I purchased opti-fresh 4x a day & when needed (moisturizer) from her. Later that day (after instilling my antibotic & then opti-fresh moisturizer) I took a nap & my vision was back. Three weeks later after leaving the salon earlier today the blurry vision is back? I still have the antibotic & optifresh & it has helped a little but I'm assuming I will need sleep before it gets better? I didn't sleep enough last night & I often don;t get enough sleep. I know sleep is important but I often get insomnia. My questions are (sorry so long): a) is the comboination of hair dye (which I don't even smell when I'm at the salon), the heat from the blow dry (I have a lot of hair so it takes a good hour to blow dry it) & the lack of sleep causing my imflammation & dry eye? Am I now susceptible to dry eye? Does it sound like I have an allergy all of a sudden (My hair grows quick...I have to get a touch up every 3 weeks-I'm beginning to have few greys)? Am I going to need put on restasis-I'm 34 years old?? Have you ever heard of this before?? This is dry eye or whatever it is...is really annoying me now!?
PS-hairstylist also uses a lotion/creme to avoid staining my forehead with color-could theis be seeping into my eyes without my knowing/feeling it that is causing blurry vision & dry eye?
Again, sorry so long...Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Hi.. yes I am

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess the blurred vision and halos is due to a mild corneal edema.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This could occur from microabrasions on the cornea wih entry of fluid into he stroma of he cornea.

Customer:

& what exactly is that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Everytime you use the lubri

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Lubricating eye drops you begin to feel better symptomatically.

Customer:

the lubrication of the eye drops is making vision blurry?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Corneal edema is swelling of the corneal layers due to fluid entry. Lubricating eye drops are making you feel better.

Customer:

Which fluid is causing the swelling?

Customer:

The lubricating eye drops aren't helping much as of now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If this problem keeps recurring every time you go to the salon, it is better to use hypersol-5 (sodium chloride) eye drops, 1 drp 4 times a day for 1 week. The fluid which enters the cornea is from the tearfilm.

Customer:

Ohhh ok sorry...

Customer:

shall I use the sodium chloride drops before to reduce or right after?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Blow drying could be causing microabrasions of he cornea. These are temporary and heal very well with lubricating eyedrops and sodium chloride eye drops.

Customer:

In your opinion is it the lack of sleep contribute to the problem

Customer:

whats so weird is that-I never had this problem before and I have been going to the salon every week for years

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sodium chloride eyedrops should be used after the procedure.

Customer:

oh ok...

Customer:

does it sound like I have chronic dry eye as well?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Having a good sleep would help the cornea to heal well. You can ensure that you get adequate sleep.

Customer:

ok I will try...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, dry eyes would definitely be adding to your problem.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else h

Customer:

ok one last thing please

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

so it's not the chemicals or the color block creme seeping in my eyes but the blow dryer then?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , it looks like that.

Customer:

in your opinion

Customer:

got it-thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

have a good night...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Good night and take care.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do give a positive rating.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist