Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

17 yr old son has been complaining about throbbing or twitching

17 yr old son has been complaining about throbbing or twitching behind his right eye for 2 days. No pin or other symptoms. Just discomfort relating to the twitching. Any suggestions?

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Has he been doing lots of school work, computer work, or video games lately? Does he use his eyes a lot? Drink a lot of caffeine?

no caffeine. yes to lots of school work and computer work

modest video games amoungt I would say

Doctor DanB : What he is experiencing sounds like what is called myokymia.  This is usually noticed by the patient as a repeated twitching, pulsating, or quivering of the eye or eyelid muscle. Many different things can cause this twitching such as irritations to the eye such as wind, smog, dust, and sunlight, but even some noises and moving the eyes and/or head can bring it on.  They tend to turn into more of a spasm over time that the person usually doesn’t have much control over.It can commonly be associated with eye problems including eye pain, tearing, irritation and sensitivity to light.  Many people find sleep relieves their spasming to some extent, but also using artificial tears can help sometimes as well as pulling on the eyelids.A specific cause for myokymia has not been demonstrated for every case; it is thought to be a neurologic disorder that has a multifactorial etiology.  For most people, this resolves spontaneously in several days, but  it's not unheard of for some cases to last 4-6 weeks. If it persists longer than 4 weeks, I would recommend he see an eye doctor for this. Does this make sense?

i made an appt for him to see my opthamologist tomorrow. He can look at the back of his eye etc

Doctor DanB :

Absolutely. Likely nothing is going to be wrong, but it's good to get it checked out to be sure.

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

just wondering if these symptoms or any change in symtoms wold suggest going to ER

Doctor DanB :

No, his symptoms as they are don't make me worried that he needs to go to the ER tonight. Outside of severe eye pain, significant redness, sensitivity to light, decreased vision, or severe headaches (which I can't see why these would develop at this point), I see no reason why he can't wait until tomorrow to see his ophthalmologist.

ok thanks

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. I wish him well and good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!