Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have been doing some wood work and got some saw dust in my

I have been doing some wood work and got some saw dust in my eye. I have very bad pain in my eye. I went to a PA at one of the Minute Clinic yesterday and she said I had a tear in my eye. She gave me some antibiotic gel and said not to cover the eye. The eye is so painful and the light hurts the eye. Why can't I cover my eye?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

What she's afraid of is that occasionally, especially when there is organic matter involved in the scratch/tear, if you cover (or patch) the eye, that can lead to an infection later. Essentially it boils down to the fact that this PA cannot monitor what happens to your eye and does not want an infection to set in and have you be in a considerably worse place. If you're using the ointment three times/day, using cool compresses on the eye (while it's closed) and taking ibuprofen and/or tylenol and you aren't feeling significantly better after 24 hours, then you should go see an eye doctor. If there is an infection setting in (I would not trust this PA to know whether there was or not), then it can cause permanent damage to the eye and to the vision. Does this make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

You are correct. I was not told about the cold compresses. They might help. I am feeling better. Is it normal for the eye to be so sensative to the light?

Customer:

One other item of interest, she did give me a oral antibiotic for a sinus infection.

Doctor DanB :

Yes, unfortunately it is quite normal for the eye to be very light sensitive. That should be improving significantly as your pain does. I can't imagine the two are related (sinus infection and scratch on the eye), though if you aren't showing significant improvement within 24-48 hours, this is also another reason to go see your ophthalmologist.

Customer:

I will. Thank you.

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck.

Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.