Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Can you use honey eye drops to lighten your eye color?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The simple answer? No.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Rick,

Thanks for the kind reply.

I have heard that honey can be used to lighten skin (melanin), and we have melanin in our eyes, can those two be related?

I have also heard that honey can be used to treat eye infections. I guess my real question is whether or not it would hurt to try and use honey in my eyes (even if the end result is not lighter eye color).

Any eye lightening alternatives?

It will not lighten your skin or your eyes.

Honey is not sterile and could cause an eye infection. It is also not pH balanced so it might be irritating.

Other then that it shouldn't hurt anything...but it won't help either.

There is nothing you can do to change the color of your eyes.

Sorry about that :(

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.