Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I HAVE A STYE AND MY WHOLE EYESOCKET AND CHEEKBONE ARE SWOLLEN

I HAVE A STYE AND MY WHOLE EYESOCKET AND CHEEKBONE ARE SWOLLEN AND HURTS TO THE TOUCH IN MY LEFT EYE WENT TO DOCTOR AND ALL HE TOLD ME WAS WARM COMPRESSES AND THAT WAS ALL HE SAID BUT MY EYE HURTS SO BAD THAT IT HURTS TO MOVE MY EYE AND CLOSE IT

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question.I understand what you are asking. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer:

hi

Customer:

what should i do

Dr. Tom : Hello... First I want you to know how sorry IM that you have the problem. I treat these inpatients almost every day and I personally had two of the similar type stys you were talking about. May I ask if you have seen an ophthalmologist about your problem.
Customer:

no

Dr. Tom :

OK, thanks.....you likely have an internal stye, called a chalasion. Ofter heat and massage will resolve the problem.....but about a third of the time the stye will need to be surgically drained. There is a middle of the road course where steroid/antibiotic ointments and oral doxycycline are helpful. The later have to be prescribed by a physician....and that is why you should get checked out by an eye surgeon. Does that make sense?

Dr. Tom :

Please give me a rough idea of the size of your stye...BB size, or green pea size, etc?

Customer:

about a pea

Dr. Tom :

Is it the upper or lower lid?

Customer:

it hasn't formed a pimple head yet lower

Dr. Tom :

How long has it been present?

Customer:

it just seems to get worse even after seeing my doctor this morning and since yesterday

Dr. Tom :

It is the natural course for the process to seem to get worst before healing begins. Your autoimmune system has to kick in to help wall off the inflamed cyst. These always hurt out of proportion to the size of the bump. However, if it does not begin trending toward improvement in the next several days you should consult an ophthalmologist...who can get you on the right medications...or even drain the cyst in the office. Does that information help?

Customer:

can a sye look greenish and purplish

Dr. Tom :

Yes it can....you are seeing blood products through the thin skin of the lid. Like seeing blue under the skin in a bruse of the arm.

Dr. Tom :

Do you have any other questions about this that I may answer?

Customer:

can it make the whole look black and blue

Dr. Tom :

If you mean the whole eyelid look blue...absolutely it can.

Customer:

the whole eye sockect and cheekbone

Dr. Tom :

The good news is that most do resolve spontaneously....heat is essential!

Dr. Tom :

Further precautions would be that if you develope elevated fever, blurred vision or massive swelling of the orbit you must seek urgent care to rule out orbital cellulitis.

Customer:

my vision is very blurry that i can't see out of my eye at all

Dr. Tom :

May I answer anything further for you?

Dr. Tom :

What you just posted is a different symtom. Significant loss of vision can be a serious problem. For that you should seek urgent care at an ER department. When a patient says that they " can;t see at all"....it must be evaluated promply. Can you get to an ER tonight?

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Tom :

Please don't put off getting this checked out. Can I answer anything else for you?