Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My daughter is 11 years old. Last year her eye doctor told

My daughter is 11 years old. Last year her eye doctor told me she had a muscle imbalance (she said the lines were jumping when she reads) and had prisms put in her eyeglasses. She had another exam this past week with another doctor, who diagnosed her with 'lazy eye' or amblyopia, in the right eye. He doesn't believe in prisms and actually during the exam she was able to see better without the prisms. Is there anything we can do about her lazy eye? Her doctor said it's too late because of her age, that after age 7 they don't do surgeries for this. Would a patch on the other eye increase her muscle strength in the lazy eye, or perhaps eye exercises?
Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The second doctor is correct.....there is nothing that can be done for amblyopia after about age seven. Also, in my opinion, there is no need for prisms at this point as I am sure she is not suffering from symptoms of double vision right now.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : The second doctor is correct.....there is nothing that can be done for amblyopia after about age seven. Also, in my opinion, there is no need for prisms at this point as I am sure she is not suffering from symptoms of double vision right now.

I will send this page to you and then continue my discussion.....
No amount of patching or "eye exercises" will make a difference at this point.

If you were concerned about the cosmetic appearance of one eye looking off in a different direction, and the amount of this deviation was stable and constant, then you (might) consider having eye muscle surgery done by a pediatric ophthalmologist to straighten her eyes.

I must stress, however, that this surgery would be COSMETIC only....it would not make her vision or muscles better or "stronger". Do not believe anyone who tells you differently.

Was the second doctor a pediatric Ophthalmologist?

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.

Hi Sandy,

We are having system problems today with the chat system.

Are you able to view my above answer? If not, let me know and I will re-post it for you.

Thanks.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i received your postings, sorry I can't be online much... Now i feel bad that i didn't have this problem corrected earlier, she was seen by 2 previous doctors and neither one mentioned this until the recent doctor. None of them are pediatric optholmologists.

What's the long-term effect of this lazy eye, will she lose vision in it? will she be able to focus enough to excel in her classes?

Also the doctor had asked me if I had a cold or the flu while pregnant with her, i only had high fevers but i'm sure i took nothing more than ibuprofren, how was this caused?

Thank you.

For a complete evaluation you should take her to a pediatric ophthalmologist...

Do you know what level she can see (20/20, 20/40, 20/60 etc) now in her "lazy" eye with her best eyeglasses in place?

The vision should not get worse, but it will not get better then she has right now with her best glasses in place. She should be able to see well enough for all her life activities.....although 3D movies probably won't work for her :( (the explanation is kinda complex...)

I am sure that it has nothing to do with your pregnancy. It just happens.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.